Connect an Azure FileShare in ArcGIS Desktop 10.6

04-26-2018 07:04 AM
PhilippeChessel1
New Contributor III

Hi,

We are migrating an ESRI Enterprise GIS environment to Azure.

Part of the process is to push some ESRI files based resources like imagery, file geodatabase into Azure Storage Account.

I can setup a Storage Account with Blob Container and upload big imagery and file geodatabases. And I can also register this Block Container as Azure cloud Store resource.

Question : how ArcGIS Desktop can access this Blob Container in order to publish map services ?

I understand that ArcGIS Desktop could Map a drive to a FileShare storage, but ArcGIS Server cannot register a FileShare storage ?

Thanks

Philippe Chessel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PhilippeChessel1
New Contributor III

After few experimentations we have tested that it is possible to connect ArcGIS Desktop to an Azure Storage Account in "File Share" mode. With a File storage account type it is possible to access it via ArcGIS Desktop (using the access key credentials) and also to Register the related Share storage into ArcGIS Server , making then possible to create Map Services.

The key is to register the azure storage account access key parameters as "Windows Credentials" in the ArcGIS Server for the account running ArcGIS Server services.