Configuring a cloud store with an Azure Data Lake

04-04-2019 04:26 AM
JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a cloud store to an Azure Gen 2 data lake.  I've read all the doc and the IDs and keys requested aren't something I'm particularly familiar with.  I've made a 'best guess' but haven't found it yet,  here's what my screen looks like:

I have my GeoAnalytics server ready to try out and am looking to create a big data file share with this store. Running Enterprise 10.6.1. Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

My IT department created an "App registration" and provided me with its ID and key. The tenant ID is from our Azure Active Directory.   This still didn't work for me. 

I removed the HTTPS and trailing slash from the account endpoint, and I've progresses to a new error: "Does not have the required read and write permissions to file/directory."

I'll post a new question for that problem (here).  I plan so summarize this process and post it on Geonet.  

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh Hevenor‌,

I think you have correctly modified your account endpoint. For example, my testing env looks like "mydatalakestorename.azuredatalakestore.net". Please try removing the trailing slash if you still have it. 

Another suggestion is to double check the folder you are registering. For a big data file share you want to be registering the folder that contains folders of datasets. So if "NYCTaxi" contains all your NYC taxi files, you should only be specifying the folder "lakefilesystem". I don't think this is causing your issue, but you may run into a problem in the next step. Steps here.

Please let me know what you get after these steps. There is a possibility that you don't have the correct access permissions set up, but let's check that the above is completed before that step. 

We do have the following issues at 10.6.1, but if you are at 10.6.1, this shouldn't be an issue. I've pasted it here *just in case*, as well as a reference for any one that finds this post later. 

Keep me updated!

Sarah Ambrose

Product Engineer, GeoAnalytics Team

JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

Thanks Sarah,  I'll focus on connecting the top folder, which is under 'Data lake storage -> Filesystems' in my azure portal. 

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh Hevenor‌,

I'm checking in with the cloud store team now. I've been looking into the Gen 2 data lake, and given that the Gen 2 data lake is very different than Gen 1 and was released much later than 10.6.1 - I want to check with them to see if it's supported.

If possible - I would recommend not spending time testing until I get an official confirmation from them . I'm hoping to know by today. 

- Sarah

0 Kudos
JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

Ok,  thanks!

0 Kudos
EmyGuailla
New Contributor

hi Sarah!

i’d like to know could I connect to data lake gen 1 from ArcGIS pro, If don’t have ArcGIS server ? The type of the license that we have is basic. 

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh Hevenor‌,

I've worked with the cloud store team to test this out. We do NOT currently support Gen 2 Data Lakes. We'll work on making that clear in the documentation, and look into supporting this in future releases. Please feel free to submit an enhancement request through support as well as use those to prioritize new functionality. 

If you are able to have your admin create a GEN 1 Data Lake (or use a blob store) that will work at 10.6.1.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Sarah

JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

Ok, no problem.  So not supported in 10.7 either?  I'm really on a fact finding mission so I can try a gen1 store as well.  Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Correct - Not at 10.7 either.