Classified symbology for a layer - auto update

08-26-2021 03:11 PM
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi,

ArcGIS Portal 10.6 and ArcGISOnline (primarily Portal)

If I have a vector (polygons) with attribute values which are used in a classified renderer/symbology, is there a way to be able to have  the renderer update as new values are added i.e. values outside of the initially classified values - aside from either republishing with an updated classified symbology, or refreshing the symbology in portal/AGOL?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

If you create a domain with a list of values, you can assign symbology to those in the initial classification. But Im thinking you're wanting to go beyond this, and have the web map dynamically assign random colours to new unique values as they're added to the dataset?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

That would also be a useful feature, perhaps from a predefined list of colours etc. but I think that one would go to the ideas section.

An example of a use case would be displaying by quantity from an attribute, and having equal interval quantity symbology.  As the values are changed by editing of the attributes or addition of new features with values greater than currently, the class breaks would change accordingly.  I think I know the answer is a definite no (without writing my own app etc.), but would like to confirm.

Cheers!

0 Kudos