Select to view content in your preferred language

Changing IP address for ArcGIS Enterprise

07-22-2024 05:08 AM
UğurcanGül
New Contributor III

All ArcGIS Enterprise components are installed on a single server. The organization we are working with has informed us that they will change the internal and external IP addresses of the server. This will allow them to migrate the server directly to a different server with a different IP address. The hostname will remain the same; only the internal and external IP addresses will change. In this case, will the enterprise structure be disrupted? What steps should I follow?

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It may be interrupted for some users. When a domain's A record changes, that change has to propagate out to the various DNS registrars. Each registrar can have their own policy for how often to refresh their records. I have read that time span can be up to 24 hours, but is likely less.

There's not really anything you can do about it, though. I would put a notice banner on the portal informing users of the coming change and the potential for disrupted service.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
UğurcanGül
New Contributor III

Thanks @jcarlson  What I actually want to ask is this. Will my ArcGIS Portal and Server explode when the internal and external IP information of the server changes?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well, I certainly hope not! But no, your portal has a bunch of stuff hard-coded with the domain name, but not the IP specifically, as far as I know.

If you had a multi-machine deployment, maybe things would go off the rails, but since everything's on the same machine, it really should just keep chugging along, it's only external access that could see a momentary hiccup.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos