Change Resolution of ArcGIS Server (AGS) Cache Tiles

Jump to solution
05-22-2015 07:10 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would like to increase the resolution of the tiles in my cached mapservice.  There is a Dots per inch (dpi) setting shown, but it is always grayed out.  Does anyone know how to enable the dpi to be modified to increase the resolution of the cached tiles.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

In the Advanced Setting section, click on the "Suggest.." button, and enter any number in the dialog box that appears; 1 makes most sense. Then, click to highlight any line in the box of scales/pixel sizes, and click on the "Delete" button to remove all scales. Then click on the Advanced button at the bottom; the DPI should now be available for editing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

Michael,

Once you have published the service, it is not possible to change the DPI setting. You will need to republish the service and choose your new DPI then. Keep in mind that this will also change the scale/pixel size relationship, so you will need to recalculate this.

James

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

James:

The DPI is always grayed out whether I'm publishing a brand new service or looking at the cache properties of an existing cached mapservice, so I am still unable to change the default dpi setting of 96.

0 Kudos
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

In the Advanced Setting section, click on the "Suggest.." button, and enter any number in the dialog box that appears; 1 makes most sense. Then, click to highlight any line in the box of scales/pixel sizes, and click on the "Delete" button to remove all scales. Then click on the Advanced button at the bottom; the DPI should now be available for editing.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks James.

Is there any documentation that would explain that is the only procedure that allows you to change the dpi of the cache tiles, as that was not intuitive to me?

0 Kudos
JamesMonty1
New Contributor III

I have not come across any documentation that states how to do this, even on the page that discusses the Advanced Caching options. Not to say it doesn't exist, just have not seen where it says to delete all cache levels first. It makes sense since the pixel size/scale relationship depends on this value, but unless you have actually gone through and adjusted any of these (we alter some of the cache levels for our image services), I don't think it would be intuitive.

0 Kudos