Cannot connect to Enterprise Geodatabase connections over vpn

05-21-2021 12:07 PM
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor

We are running ArcMap Desktop 10.5.1, and connect to enterprise geodatabases through SQL Server ArcGIS Server 10.7.  Up until recently we were all able to work in the geodatabases over Cisco VPN.  On May 7th, only two out of four of us can no longer open the geodatabase connections, nor create a new geodatabase connection to ArcGIS Server.  I see no Windows Update taken place on that date, or the previous date, and can find no reason for any change in the two laptops that can no longer connect.  Anyone else had this or similar problem?

Barry

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

When you are on VPN, can you connect via SQL Server Management Studio to the SQL Server DB's in question?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
I do not have SQL Server Manager on my computer.
0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, I think that this would be an easy install / test to see if it is an ArcGIS client issue or other issue.

You mention that it worked till May 6th. Besides Windows updates, you may need to reach out to your IT dept. to see what (if any) other network, database, VPN rules changed.

Where there any ArcGIS patches applied to the Server / Geodatabase?

What are the errors that you are receiving in the ArcMap when connecting?

--- George T.
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor
Our IT Dept. stated they had made no changes/updates at that time.
So, shall I install SQL Database Manager on my pc to test?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I would download it from Microsoft here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server...

Once installed, try to make a connection to the SQL Server instance.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Maybe TLS 1.2 patches were applied or need to be applied in the Cisco, VPN, ArcGIS Server or desktop tiers.

0 Kudos
BarryGuidry
Occasional Contributor

Are the TLS 1.2 patches a download?  

0 Kudos