Can you add data using ArcMap 10.6.1 from Portal 10.5?

10-09-2018 09:51 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Several desktop users have reported this error:

After updating ArcMap from 10.5.1 to 10.6.1 they're getting this ArcMap popup error when they try to add data from Portal.

The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Yes you can if all you do is upgrade your desktop software to 10.6.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Chad,

I just tested what you recommended (10.5.1 to 10.6.0) and it works fine bringing in content from Portal 10.5.0

What changed at 10.6.1 to break it?

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Which SSL and TLS versions are you supporting at the web tier? On the desktop machines, which versions of .Net framework are installed?

My hunch is that as a client .net on your desktop machines wants to connect using TLS 1.2 but doesn't have the right .net cersion to do that. Try installing .Net framework 4.6 on a test machine and see if that helps.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Just verified with esri support:

Fixed at Portal 10.6.1

Severity: High

#BUG-000104437 Viewing content from Portal for ArcGIS in ArcMap with TLSv1 disabled results in an error.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Clients at Windows 10 that lists installed feature .Net Framework 4.7 Advanced Services.

Portal server is 2008 R2 with .Net 4.7.2

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Esri's TLS Guidance attached here:

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bill,

I'm very familiar with that bug, I helped test the fix that was installed for 10.6.1 - I also helped write the TLS Whitepaper you posted (thanks for promoting it!)

The add data>from portal issue when the server only supports TLS 1.2 should be fixed in 10.6.1 - we're working on patches for previous versions. 

Can you confirm your Desktop versions and the TLS versions you're supporting on your portal? ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 connecting to a portal that only supports TLS 1.2 should work (my personal portal only supports TLS 1.2, and I run Windows 10 as a client). Seems there's more to this than that bug. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Randall,

The ArcMap 10.6.1 users that reported this also say they can add data from portal 10.5 from existing mxd files they had before updating to ArcMap 10.6.1

If they try with a new mxd they get that error

Desktop user are running Windows 10 Pro 1709

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

From my win 10 desktop, opening portal's url with ie 11 > page > properties

Connection: TLS 1.0, AES with 256 bit encryption (High); ECDH_P256 with 256 bit exchange

Randall Williams

0 Kudos