Can ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 be installed on the same machine as a standalone ArcGIS Server 10.9.1?

Jump to solution
01-26-2023 02:58 PM
DarinaTchountcheva
Occasional Contributor II

I could not find information on this. 

In the documentation it says that ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.2 can be installed on the same machine as ArcGIS Server 10.9.1, but nothing about ArcGIS Pro. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

There's more of a should you than a can you question here.

As 64-bit applications both Pro and Server can use a lot of memory.  If you had a 16GB host, and server was using say 14GB of that, and you opened pro, then you'd be using a lot of resource on the Pro side, that will negatively impact Server.

You can install it, but personally I wouldn't do it, not even in Dev.

Scott Tansley
Consulting Architect (ArcGIS Enterprise)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

There's more of a should you than a can you question here.

As 64-bit applications both Pro and Server can use a lot of memory.  If you had a 16GB host, and server was using say 14GB of that, and you opened pro, then you'd be using a lot of resource on the Pro side, that will negatively impact Server.

You can install it, but personally I wouldn't do it, not even in Dev.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
DarinaTchountcheva

Thank you for your reply Scott!

You are right. I shouldn't, but...

Just trying to find a dev machine to install ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3, without breaking something. 

ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5 and 2.9.6 crash when using .odc connections, 2.9.4 crashes when using symbology. 

Can't upgrade my machine  because I can't save projects back to 2.x and other breaking functionality.

Can't upgrade the other dev server because a lot of python scripts are being tested there. 

Just looking for a workaround that won't create more issues.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I hear you, common problem.  The proposes route, IMHO, will solve your Pro problem and create server issues. 

So if you have no other choice, then look at what RAM is installed and the steady state of RAM usage.  If there's a fair few GBs there, then do it, but don't do too much would be my advice.  If there's not enough, then stop some services to clear up some RAM maybe?  I would advise just treading lightly.

Scott Tansley
0 Kudos
GoranGobac
New Contributor III

Hi Darina,
first I want to tell you that when we setup our Enterprise Enviroment there was no doubt in installing a ArcGIS Pro on ArcGIS Server Maschine (and we did that with our Esri Partners in Europe). Thats regarding that Topic.
I can tell you why you should not install ArcGIS Pro on Server Maschine.
RAM wasnt an Issue because it not such a cost question and we have in Production on our Server round about 250 ArcSocs (1 Instance on Map Service producess 2 ArcSocs so we noticed) with 124 GB RAM.
Problems happen when you upgrade ArcGIS Pro. FOr Example we have Enterprise 10.8.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.6. Upgrade on 2.7 we experienced Problems when registering Matiralised View on Referenced Oracle DB. Also the Python Code has changed and we had to do extra refactoring.
Then we Upgraded on 2.8 and there is a BUG with ArcPy which in some cases skripts take 6 Hours where before they took 30 minutes. ANd there is a BUG with Spatial Function in ArcPY.
Then we upgraded to 3.0 and there is a BUG with a publishing Print Service on 10.8.1 it doesnt work.
So the Point I am making is what Esri still hasnt get a hold of effects of changing Py Versions and Impact it has on your Skripts.
Also with 2.8 Version we werent able to run Esri Routing Update Skripts.
The further you go with your ArcGIS Pro the further the Py Versions ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Pro will have. And that has proven really costly to us.
We are trying to use a seperate Virtual Maschine to use ArcGIS Pro for Publishing Servises and setting up.
So that is my take on situation.

0 Kudos
DarinaTchountcheva

Thank you so much, both, for your input. 

So the verdict is that it can be installed but it is not advisable. 

0 Kudos