Select to view content in your preferred language

Best Approach: Upgrade to 10.2.2 from 10.0

07-31-2014 09:22 AM
ScottRobinson
Occasional Contributor

I'm planning to upgrade our GIS to 10.2.2 from 10.0.  We use a personal SDE geodatabase on SQL Server Express 2008.  We've recently purchased a new server to house our geodatabase(s).  Could I use the following workflow and avoid "Upgrade Geodatabase": 

1.  Upgrade Desktop Advanced to 10.2.2

2.  Use it to create a new database on the new server

3.  Import the existing 10.0 database into it.

This seems simpler to me but I'm new to this type of database management.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CoryMacNeil1
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scott,

I don't see an issue with your process.  I just upgraded our enterprise geodatabase from 10.0 to 10.2.2.  Keep in mind that Desktop 10.2.2 can edit previous geodatabase versions as well.  So if you needed to you can edit the data in your 10.0 database with your 10.2.2 Desktop.

Administering ArcSDE is a bit different at 10.2.2.  Some of the surprises for me were the use of Tools from ArcToolbox to Create Enterprise Geodatabase or in my case Enable Enterprise Geodatabase (database upgrade on the same server).

If you are going to keep the database name the same as well as all of the user permissions and roles, you could probably just copy the MDF file for SQL Server to the new server and attach it.  Then you should be able to register/enable the attached database to SDE.

I hope this helps.

Cory

0 Kudos