ArcGIS Server: Server Directory and Configuration Store for Multiple Sites

Jump to solution
03-11-2021 09:29 AM
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

I have an ArcGIS Server site (call it "server") with several ArcGIS servers configured with the ArGIS GIS Server role and using a network share for the Server Directory and Configuration Store between them.  I am planning to add a new ArcGIS Server to a new site (call it "image") that will be configured with the role of a ArcGIS Image Server. Can this new site/server share that same share or should a new separate share be created?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think each site needs a separate SMB share, but each site needs its own root folder separate from other site's root folders.  If the existing site is using an SMB share as its root folder, then going with another SMB share would make sense.  Or, you could make subfolders under the SMB share for each site and migrate the existing site to one of the subfolders and then point the new site to the other subfolder.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How do you envision two ArcGIS Server sites, different sites, sharing the same configuration store?  They will simply clobber each other's files and likely corrupt both.

LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

LOL, Thanks Joshua.  That was exactly what I was envisioning would happen and why I asked.

I have deployed a mixed role cluster deployment in the past but I have never deployed a multi site ArcGIS Server deployment. I could not find in the documentation if ArcGIS Server would create needed subfolders for each site on the network shares or if separate shares should be created for each site.  Based upon your reply, I would assume separate shares/folders are needed for each ArcGIS Server site.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think each site needs a separate SMB share, but each site needs its own root folder separate from other site's root folders.  If the existing site is using an SMB share as its root folder, then going with another SMB share would make sense.  Or, you could make subfolders under the SMB share for each site and migrate the existing site to one of the subfolders and then point the new site to the other subfolder.

LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks again.  I will create and use separate folders on a single share. Sounds like I may want to migrate the existing "server" site to a new folder.  I was really hoping ArcGIS Server created subfolders for sites like instances/databases in SQL or websites in IIS.

0 Kudos