Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server log warnings and severe warnings?

08-30-2022 04:38 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all!

We are constantly getting warning logs and severe level warnings in our ArcGIS Server Manager View Log Messages page. How in the world do I figure out what these mean? Every time I get one I google search and I get nothing that helps. Do I have to call Esri Tech support for every one of these?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a handful of the many for a sample:

Error: The item was not found. on a MapServer

Error processing request java.lang.NullPointerException. on Rest.

Unable to perform query operation. on a MapServer.

Error: Operation without query criteria is not allowed. on a MapServer.

Unable to process request: Error handling schema request: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: Server object extension 'validationserver' not found.

Thank you!

7 Replies
RamakrishnaBillakanti
Occasional Contributor

It appears you have a SOE on the map service which is looking for additional details which map service map not have. Take a look at your SOE

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Regardless of the reason for this specific log result, I'm with you. I would also like an easier way to understand what all the log results mean. I do occasionally get results from google searching etc, but it feels like ESRI could put together a more user-friendly repository of the different kinds of log results. 

HéctorMeléndez
Esri Contributor

@Anonymous User Did you find a solution to your log warning 'object extension 'validationserver' not found' ? In my case the error appears for a branch versioned service. There is no SOE enabled on the server.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

No, I never did find a solution. We don't use branch versioning either.

0 Kudos
MatthewGeorge
Occasional Contributor II

@HéctorMeléndez

We also see this error in our logs and we don't use branch versioning for any of our data. Looking at the logs it seems to be a constant cycle of:

* Unable to process request. Error handling schema request: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: Server object extension 'versionmanagementserver' not found.

* Instance of service 'System/DynamicMappingHost.MapServer' failed to process a request.

* Service instance activation failed in 'System/DynamicMappingHost.MapServer'. AutomationException: 0x80004005 - Unspecified error

* Instance of service 'System/DynamicMappingHost.MapServer' failed to process a request.

AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor II

OP here - re-subscribing with my new community account. 

0 Kudos
ChrisDalla_Piazza
New Contributor III

I wonder if there is a minimum ArcGIS Enterprise version to host a branch versioned feature service.  I noticed that the documentation on ArcGIS Pro cuts off at version 3.0: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/branch-version-scenarios.ht... 

I believe ArcGIS Pro 3.0 corresponds to ArcGIS server 11.0.  We are on 10.9.1 and see the same error messages.

0 Kudos