Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Server 10 to 10.1 - Service Caches?

Jump to solution
10-04-2012 10:44 AM
davidrenz
Deactivated User
Is it possible to move our 10.0 caches to the new 10.1 services that we are going to have to recreate?

Parenthetically:
It is extremely frustrating that ESRI has once again devised a new reason for us to completely uninstall one of its products in order to re-install its new product. For those of us who have small shops and a heavy reliance on ArcGIS Server, it is a huge burden to have to stand down our current architecture in order to stand up a new one. I hope some day ESRI can figure out how to do "Upgrades", rather than complete system overhauls.

I am basing my gripe on this, if I am wrong about the whole upgrade path, please let me know:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000002p0000000

So, is it possible to use our caches from 10 with the recreated services that we need to create for 10.1, or is that something we will need to recreate as well?

sigh ...
david
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexeyTereshenkov
Deactivated User
Hi David,

As outlined in the Help page you pasted, you don't have to regenerate the map cache - you'd only need to republish a service. I've had successfully moved multiple map service cache folders in 10.1, no problem at all. Just make sure the tiling schema in the Service Editor window matches the tiling schema of the map cache. Don't forget about making some backups first - don't store your cache just in one place when testing using the tiles with 10.1 - it's easy to miss some settings and then ArcGIS Server may recreate the tiling schema file which may result in corrupted cache, had it myself it several times on prerelease. 🙂

If having multiple services to migrate, consider automating the process by scripting with integrated means of ArcGIS Server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Deactivated User
Hi David,

As outlined in the Help page you pasted, you don't have to regenerate the map cache - you'd only need to republish a service. I've had successfully moved multiple map service cache folders in 10.1, no problem at all. Just make sure the tiling schema in the Service Editor window matches the tiling schema of the map cache. Don't forget about making some backups first - don't store your cache just in one place when testing using the tiles with 10.1 - it's easy to miss some settings and then ArcGIS Server may recreate the tiling schema file which may result in corrupted cache, had it myself it several times on prerelease. 🙂

If having multiple services to migrate, consider automating the process by scripting with integrated means of ArcGIS Server.
0 Kudos
davidrenz
Deactivated User
thanks Alexey.

nice to know at least something can be directly migrated. we had such pains when trying to use locators that were created in 9.3 in 10, guess the assumptions were flying about the tiles.

thanks again.
0 Kudos