ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 Upgrade - At which step the installer asks to confirm upgrade from 10.5.1?

Jump to solution
12-01-2021 10:43 AM
RomanValoria1
New Contributor II

I have ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 installed on RHEL 7.9. I am trying to upgrade this ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 setup to 10.7.1 (having the new license ready).

I am following all the recommendations of the Esri install guide, for the upgrade section.

Still I have reached what it seems the final step on the 10.7.1 installer wizard without any confirmation that the previous version of ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 was detected and if I am sure I want to upgrade. I even purposely started up the ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 processes. I am installing as the same Linux OS user that owns the currently installed and running 10.5.1 setup. I have passed via the steps:

Diagnostic Tool
Introduction
Master Agreement
Choose Install Folder
Pre-Installation Summary

Immediatelly after running the Setup binary, during the Diagnostic Tool validation step, still using an ASCII console window, I have warning regarding the local hos tfile not having defined the FQDN alias for the host entry. This is not an Internet facing setup and we use local host name resolution, there is no DNS server involved thus I have not included in the local hosts file of Linux an alias for the FQDN. I do not believe it matters as:

1. Not using Portal for ArcGIS.
2. The 10.5.1 setup did not had the DNS name configured and worked fine, thus neither the 10.7.2 has it configured.
3. Since this is an upgrade, and the ArcGIS Server site is already created, seems it is too late now to change it, as it seems to imply that the change must be implemented BEFORE creating the ArcGIS Server site.

Can anyone confirm that the upgrade detection and confirmation comes AFTER you hit the Install button on the Pre-Installation Summary step?

I am specially suspicious that it allows me to manually select the Install Folder, I would have expected it to detect my 10.5.1 setup before that step and if I confirmed I want to upgrade, I should not have been given the option to select the Install Folder.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RomanValoria1
New Contributor II

OK, I have finally managed to get the 10.7.1 installer to recognize the 10.5.1 setup and ask for an upgrade.

There is a hidden file on the Linux OS home directory that owns the installation that is required for the upgrade workflow to be triggered. You need a file named:

.ESRI.properties.YOUR_HOST_NAME.10.5.1

And the file has to have the parameters:

Z_ArcGISServer_INSTALL_DIR=/apps/esri/arcgis/server
Z_REAL_VERSION=10.5.1
ARCLICENSEHOME=/apps/esri/arcgis/server/framework/runtime/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ESRI/License10.5/sysgen
ESRI_PROGRAM_FILES=

Of course you need to update with your correct install folder.

Despite the upgrade main messages providing no errors, I do get some errors on the detailed log file, but I assume this is because I have changed the host name after cloning, so I am opening another question for that. There are contradicting documents on the Esri site regarding this.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RomanValoria1
New Contributor II

An important comment to make, is that I have cloned the original ArcGIS Server 10.5.1 host into a new host and I have changed the host name in the cloned host.

Maybe this is causing problems for the automatic detection by the installer.

Are there any references within the ArcGIS Server home that I should also change to overcome this?

0 Kudos
RomanValoria1
New Contributor II

Although I have kept in the local host file an alias for this new cloned host IP to the previous host name (which is on another network, so there will be no clashes with hostnames repeated) I did used the hostnamectl command to change the hostname globally on Linux.

0 Kudos
RomanValoria1
New Contributor II

Have made a dummy test on the original (non-cloned) 10.5.1 host (once again making sure ArcGIS Server is up and I can connect to the Server Manager with siteadmin and validate licenses and services are up), still the 10.7.1 installer reaches the same step as in the cloned host without any mention to a pre-existing setup or an upgrade. Still lets me select the Install Folder.

Thus it does not seem that the change of the hostname on the cloned VM affects this, as in the original it behaves the same.

0 Kudos
RomanValoria1
New Contributor II

Wonder if to proceed with a fresh install of 10.7.1 (assuming that the upgrade detection should have happened earlier on the wizard) on this clone host with a new hostname. I will rename the original directory and install on the same path.

Assuming I do that, can I make a backup of the site on the other host of 10.5.1 and restore it on this fresh 10.7.1 host and have the web map services published working?

I ONLY have ArcGIS Server. There is no Portal or Web Adaptor / Reverse Proxy or any other add-on. I do have registered Oracle Enterprise Geodatabases, but user managed via SDE Oracle schema. Thus when I publish a web map service, I am not copying the data over to ArcGIS Server and any newly added or updated data is automatically reflected in the web map services.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RomanValoria1
New Contributor II

OK, I have finally managed to get the 10.7.1 installer to recognize the 10.5.1 setup and ask for an upgrade.

There is a hidden file on the Linux OS home directory that owns the installation that is required for the upgrade workflow to be triggered. You need a file named:

.ESRI.properties.YOUR_HOST_NAME.10.5.1

And the file has to have the parameters:

Z_ArcGISServer_INSTALL_DIR=/apps/esri/arcgis/server
Z_REAL_VERSION=10.5.1
ARCLICENSEHOME=/apps/esri/arcgis/server/framework/runtime/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ESRI/License10.5/sysgen
ESRI_PROGRAM_FILES=

Of course you need to update with your correct install folder.

Despite the upgrade main messages providing no errors, I do get some errors on the detailed log file, but I assume this is because I have changed the host name after cloning, so I am opening another question for that. There are contradicting documents on the Esri site regarding this.