ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: How to determine the number of CPU Cores and RAM size of a server machine that can support up to 250 concurrent users for a web mapping application?

08-28-2020 12:47 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1: How to determine the number of CPU Cores and RAM size of a server machine that can support up to 250 concurrent users for a web mapping application?

I couldn’t figure out how to determine the number of CPU Cores and RAM size of a server machine that can support up to 250 concurrent users for a web mapping application that consumes GIS web service published in the server machine.

The documentation recommends trail and error approach in order to decide on the optimal server machine resources that should cover the need (load).

In general, for design, we need to calculate the load (traffic) based on which resources are specified. Which mathematical approach can be of help in this case?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would take a look here to develop the capacity planning - Capacity Planning Tool - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia 

--- George T.
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

The Platform Capacity Calculator confirms that the number of concurrent users depends on CPU, data (mdf, gdb, shp, etc.), ArcGIS Server services (mxd, ,msd, wms, mosaic), operating system (winows, linux, ect.), and platform (physical, VM, etc.),

Jamal Numan
IhabHassan
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal

I am using the CP analysis tool for estimating the HW specs for a new ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, and I wonder if you can guide me on how I can find the calculated RAM utilization for the architecture platforms used in the analysis.

Thanks

Ihab

Regards
Ihab
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Ihab,

Unfortunately, there is no direct relation between the load (number of requests) and the resources (Cores\RAM) which makes it a bit challenging to find a good match between them (load and resources).

Best

Jamal

Clip_1432.jpgClip_1431.jpg

Jamal Numan