ArcGIS Server 10.2 Create new site fails

09-25-2013 02:33 AM
DaveAdams
New Contributor III
I have installed Server 10.2 as a fresh install - I removed 10.1 first. I have installed successfully and authorised with no issues. However when I try and create the new site the process takes forever and eventually bails - the error message is "failed to create site - failed to create default cluster".

I have investigated the logs in /usr and found the following - the creation of server directories etc seems fine but then
<Msg time="2013-09-25T09:02:14,216" type="SEVERE" code="6550" source="Admin" process="3036" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEY-PC" user="" elapsed="">Failed to start the server machine 'DAVEY-PC'. Could not start application server within stipulated time.</Msg>
This is then followed by a series of other errors including 6518, 6516 and 6533

the server is up and running - I had no similar problems when I installed 10.1 on the same machine a few months ago

Any ideas would be appreciated - I have installed 2 or 3 times now and stopped and started the service etc.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
Are you creating single site or are you getting this error on a join?

Make sure the machine name has no unsupported characters, this can be a problem. I've even seen underscores cause problems.
0 Kudos
DaveAdams
New Contributor III
It's a single new site - the only non letter character is a hyphen "-" - I have seen reference to underscores and multi-byte characters - are hyphens also a problem?
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
It shouldn't be a problem but if you can try without the hyphen
0 Kudos
DaveAdams
New Contributor III
Bubba

unfortunately the name change only got me back to the same point - the hyphen wasn't the issue it seems. Here is a longer extract of the error log text

<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:05:54,214" type="SEVERE" code="6550" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Failed to start the server machine 'DAVEYPC'. Could not start application server within stipulated time.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:05:54,220" type="SEVERE" code="6550" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Failed to start the server machine 'DAVEYPC'. Failed to start the server machine 'DAVEYPC'. Could not start application server within stipulated time.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:05:54,222" type="SEVERE" code="6518" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Failed to start the cluster 'default'. One or more server machines could not be started.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:05:54,229" type="SEVERE" code="6516" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Failed to create the cluster 'default'. One or more server machines could not be started.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:05:54,230" type="SEVERE" code="6533" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Failed to create the site. Failed to create the cluster 'default'. One or more server machines could not be started.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:05:54,234" type="INFO" code="7057" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Disconnecting the site from the configuration store.</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:06:04,408" type="INFO" code="6552" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Server machine 'DAVEYPC' was stopped successfully .</Msg>
<Msg time="2013-09-27T10:06:04,410" type="INFO" code="6519" source="Admin" process="5932" thread="13" methodName="" machine="DAVEYPC" user="" elapsed="">Cluster 'default' stopped successfully.</Msg>

cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Hmm. Not sure, maybe try deleting the arcgisserver folder and run Setup again
0 Kudos
DaveAdams
New Contributor III
Got a little frustrated so I thought I would try an upgrade install rather than fresh - I uninstalled all ESRI software and looked around for any remnant files/directories leftover and removed those also. I also deleted the arcgis user account etc. Then I installed 10.1 and it worked first time with no problems installing or creating the site - I'll try the 10.2 install next and let you know. There must be something different in the 10.2 install from scratch...
0 Kudos
DaveAdams
New Contributor III
Gave up - the install over the top of 10.1 hung when trying to bring up the server manager after install - couldn't get any further even after stopping and starting the server and trying to go into the manager manually etc. Gone back to 10.1 which installs and works first time - will get on with some development work and keep my eye out if someone else gets the same issues and a solution before heading back to 10.2. Thanks Bubba for the suggestions - something must be left behind on my PC which 10.2 is not happy with during the install process.

Cheers
0 Kudos
YungKaiChin
Occasional Contributor
Try remove or rename these after uninstall ArcGIS 10.2 "may" help:
1. arcgisserver folder
2. Program Files\ArcGIS\Server folder
3. Program Files\ESRI\License10.2\sysgen\keycodes file
0 Kudos
muhannadS_
New Contributor II
problem is resolved, here is the scenario for any one who encounters this problem in the future:

initially I had the problem "Failed to create the site. Failed to configure the server machine 'PC.LOCALDOMAIN'. Server machine 'PC.LOCALDOMAIN' is not a local server machine.".

after following ykchin's advice and editing both files, I encountered the 'cannot create the default cluster error', I checked the user log & it stated the same error specified above 'cannot start application server within the stipulated time', I checked the arcgis user under computer management, local users and groups, users & it was only a member of the Users group, adding it to the Administrators group solved the problem & created the site under ArcGIS server admin.