ArcGIS Notebooks in AWS and Azure

Jump to solution
03-22-2019 08:17 AM
JonNordling1
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 is here! Everything is looking really good!

My question is about ArcGIS Notebooks. Since ArcGIS Notebooks requires docker and docker requires Hyper-V and Containers features what is the plan to support cloud systems for ArcGIS Notebooks?

My understanding on Hyper-V and Containers features is that it has to be on physical hardware, which is why AWS and Azure have it disabled in the Server Manager. 

Thanks for your help!

Jon | GeoMarvel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor

Hi Jon,

ArcGIS Notebook Server is supported on Microsoft Windows server 2016/2019 and Ubuntu/RHEL Linux OS. The physical machine requirement is applicable to Windows - for supporting Hyper-V. Please see system requirements for more info:

ArcGIS Notebook Server system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | ArcGIS Enterprise 

ArcGIS Notebook Server system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | ArcGIS Enterprise 

ArcGIS Enterprise on Microsoft Azure 10.7 supports ArcGIS Notebook Server - please see What's new for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 on Microsoft Azure—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise . You need to use an instance type that supports nested virtualization. If you are using cloud builder, it will automatically filter the instance size selector.

Support for installing Notebook Server using AWS cloud formation templates is not available for ArcGIS Enterprise on Amazon Web Services 10.7. However you can use the setup/installer and manually install and configure Notebook server on AWS. Please note, for Windows on AWS, a bare metal instance should be used*.

Thanks

Ravi

* Please see an updated post further down regarding support for Notebook server on AWS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor

Hi Jon,

ArcGIS Notebook Server is supported on Microsoft Windows server 2016/2019 and Ubuntu/RHEL Linux OS. The physical machine requirement is applicable to Windows - for supporting Hyper-V. Please see system requirements for more info:

ArcGIS Enterprise on Microsoft Azure 10.7 supports ArcGIS Notebook Server - please see What's new for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 on Microsoft Azure—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise . You need to use an instance type that supports nested virtualization. If you are using cloud builder, it will automatically filter the instance size selector.

Support for installing Notebook Server using AWS cloud formation templates is not available for ArcGIS Enterprise on Amazon Web Services 10.7. However you can use the setup/installer and manually install and configure Notebook server on AWS. Please note, for Windows on AWS, a bare metal instance should be used*.

Thanks

Ravi

* Please see an updated post further down regarding support for Notebook server on AWS.

JonNordling1
New Contributor II

Thanks! This definitely clears that up for me. I was missing that fact that the instance types need to be running Hyper-V on Amazon EC2 Bare Metal Instances. https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/compute/running-hyper-v-on-amazon-ec2-bare-metal-instances/

Thanks for your help! 

0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor

Hello, I would like to update/clarify my earlier comment.  I was referring to these bare metal windows instances available in AWS. These instances allow enabling Hyper-V which is a requirement for running Notebook Server on Windows. There is very limited choice for bare metal instances and they are fairly large/expensive machines.

Per system requirements for Notebook server, only Ubuntu AWS instances are supported. Please see ArcGIS Notebook Server system requirements—ArcGIS Enterprise system requirements | ArcGIS Enterprise  for more info. You can use mixed configuration of ArcGIS Notebook server deployed on Ubuntu with ArcGIS Enterprise on Windows. 

nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor

in azure these family SKU supports nested virtualization

0 Kudos