Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Imager Server in HA Environment

Jump to solution
09-11-2022 02:44 AM
MarGIS
by
New Contributor III

Dear, folks

Thanks for this wonderful community. I would like to ask about ArcGIS Image Server configuration.

We will have Active/Active Enterprise HA environment that will include a portal with two servers (primary/standby) and two servers of (Hosting server), two Image Servers. Also, I have two load balancers the first for public and the second is internal for federation. My question is how image servers will be configured. I assume that they will join the same site as the hosting server. In other words, I will create a site at the first-time installing ArcGIS Server (that is the first hosting server) and the second hosting server will join the site. This is obvious for me, but for Image servers should I make them join the same site also? Given that I will use Image Server for both (Raster Analytics/ image hosting) roles.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I diagram, even a rough one, would be easier for people to understand.  Although you are asking specifically about incorporating the Image Servers into the site, community members may have other thoughts on the overall architecture as well, and seeing the overall architecture is easier when diagrammed out.

I strongly discourage the same Image Server site from doing both Image Server functionalities (RA and image hosting), unless one or the other functionalities will be so trivial it doesn't matter.  Raster Analytics loads are much higher and often much less predictable than image hosting loads, so it can be easy for RA to cannibalize the resources and impact hosting.  The impact of RA on image hosting can be mitigated through fine tuning, but it will take some time to find the right balance.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I diagram, even a rough one, would be easier for people to understand.  Although you are asking specifically about incorporating the Image Servers into the site, community members may have other thoughts on the overall architecture as well, and seeing the overall architecture is easier when diagrammed out.

I strongly discourage the same Image Server site from doing both Image Server functionalities (RA and image hosting), unless one or the other functionalities will be so trivial it doesn't matter.  Raster Analytics loads are much higher and often much less predictable than image hosting loads, so it can be easy for RA to cannibalize the resources and impact hosting.  The impact of RA on image hosting can be mitigated through fine tuning, but it will take some time to find the right balance.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Agree with Joshua on this, diagrams are king in this point.

I would err on the side of distributing Image Server to a second site if possible. This would ensure you aren't over stressing your hosting server for either environment. Although it is possible to set the hosting server as the image server for raster analytics, I would not recommend doing this in production.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
MarGIS
by
New Contributor III

Thanks @JoshuaBixby , @JonEmch  for your reply. I have got the point, I should separate the Hosting server from Image Hosting server and should do so also to separate RA server from Image Hosting, but I think the crucial point here is the cost. Thank you guys again for your helpful answers.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I understand your statement about cost.  Esri's licensing model for ArcGIS Enterprise with portal and federated servers can get very expensive very quickly. 

0 Kudos