ArcGIS Hangs When Trying To Deleting Feature Class

09-23-2015 04:46 PM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

I'm worried that one of our SDE Geodatabases may now be corrupted!  The steward of that database was deleting a feature dataset when ArcCatalog hung.  After waiting 15 minutes he stopped and restarted ArcCatalog.  When he reconnected all that he was trying to delete was gone except for one feature class, but what is really weird is that the feature class was one of several under the feature dataset.  The feature dataset is now gone but the lone feature class is now showing up in the root and there appears to be no way to delete this feature class.  ArcCatalog just hangs when trying to delete this feature class.  Any ideas?

ArcSDE direct connections, SDE 10.0 SQL 2012

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Can you reboot the SQL machine and the one you are using to delete?  Might just be something locking it since it was stopped before finishing.  

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

I couldn't stop and restart the SQL instance with all that's happening on that server but I did go in using SQL Server Management Studio | Activity Monitor where I discovered a blocking process.  I killed the blocking spid in SQL and that allowed the hung ArcCatalog Delete to finish.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad you got it working.  Make sure to mark this question as answered.

0 Kudos