Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 Upgrade Warning if 11.1 ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch

Jump to solution
12-10-2023 08:49 AM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello - in preparing to pull the trigger on our 11.1 to 11.2 I ran a final search here and elsewhere in the geonet community as well at the Patches and Updates site:  This was just released:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/defective-arcgis-enterprise-patch

PATCHES AND UPDATES

IMPORTANT: Defective Portal for ArcGIS patch

Published: December 8, 2023

A defect has been identified in the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch for 10.8.1, 10.9.1, and 11.1. This patch was initially released in late June 2023 and has been disabled for download as of October 12, 2023 while this defect is investigated. ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1, 10.9.1, and 11.1 deployments on Windows with this patch installed are affected by this issue. 

The ArcGIS Enterprise Development team is actively working on a fix. In the meantime, if you have installed this patch, it is critical to not install any additional Portal for ArcGIS patches or hot fixes, uninstall any Portal for ArcGIS patches including this defective Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch, or uninstall or upgrade your Portal for ArcGIS environment. This site will be updated with further details.

We are here to help.  If you have any questions regarding this information, please reach out to Esri Technical Support or your Esri account manager. 

Support did confirm.  Unfortunately, I do have this patch installed (although it may have installed properly back on 06/28/23, the patch notification tool continued to show the patch as available).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

@NicolasGIS The Validation and Repair tool, along with the new version of the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch C is now available for ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1. The instructions are to run the repair tool, the install the new version of the patch. Please access this patch here: https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/portal-for-arcgis-enterprise-sites-security-patc...

Could you expand on "What is the risk of this patch? Any known issue we should be aware of ?"

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

28 Replies
NicolasGIS
Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing @DavidColey .

I have "Portal for ArcGIS 11.1 Enterprise Sites Security Patch B" installed.

Is this one also affected by the defect ?

Thanks

ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @NicolasGIS ,

Yes, as per my understanding that patch is also causing an impact (I would not get into much details) but I would suggest to adhere to the steps mentioned in @DavidColey's post (mentioned in bold).

Hope it helps!

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yeah @NicolasGIS  - I have yet to see a "Portal for ArcGIS 11.1 Enterprise Sites Security Patch B" appear in the patch notification tool and so I didn't even know that existed.  Support didn't mention anything about a Patch B either during my Friday chat session. So I'm basically waiting to hear back and/or looking for a post or blog notice or something.

@ArchitSrivastava 

@MarceloMarques 

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

I can verify that for ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1, it is the Patch B.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Regular Contributor

From the Technical Support website:
https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/portal-for-arcgis-enterprise-sites-security-patc...

July 6, 2023: The 11.1 version of the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch has been updated to address BUG-000159526 where the patch was installed but not listed as installed in the ArcGIS Enterprise Patch Notification tool. The new setup is named Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch B with the B suffix indicating a second build of this patch. The B suffix will appear in the name once the patch is installed. Please download and install the new setup. It is not necessary to uninstall the original patch, the new setup will install and replace the original patch.
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Sorry @NicolasGIS  - now I understand my confusion.  From the patch summary page:

"July 6, 2023: The 11.1 version of the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch has been updated to address BUG-000159526 where the patch was installed but not listed as installed in the ArcGIS Enterprise Patch Notification tool. The new setup is named Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch B with the B suffix indicating a second build of this patch. The B suffix will appear in the name once the patch is installed."

I had installed the original patch on 06/28.  Because I rely on the Patch Notification tool to tell me when patches are available, I never checked back to the Patches and Updates support page because a "Patch B" notification never appeared in the Patch Notification tool.

Patch Notification tool and/or this particular patch very flaky at 11.1

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

This is also something we are aware of and are trying to work through. Bottom line, if "Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch" is present in patch finder at those versions, your system may be affected.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @NicolasGIS @DavidColey,

I can confirm that we are responding to a significant issue with the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security patch (B on 11.1) on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1, 10.9.1, 11.1 running on Windows. If you have this patch installed, there is tooling coming that will fix this issue.  Please contact technical support if you think you may be affected. We will be updating that article as more information becomes available. I am also available to answer questions via this thread or DM.

Keep on keeping on!
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello @JonEmch -

I can confirm that I am affected.  I can confirm that the patch DID show in the Patch Notification tool, but has not shown as available or as installed in the Patch Notification tool for many weeks.  I can confirm that the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security patch is showing as an installed update in Control Panel>Programs and Features>View Installed Updates.  Like I said, I did install it. on 6/28 but not 'Patch B'. 

Just really need this fix at this point.

@NicolasGIS