Adress Locator - German Adresses - Problem with House Number Field

Jump to solution
10-27-2015 06:24 AM
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Dear Community,

i have a feature layer where each point represents the centre of a building (house coordinates). Within the attribute table i have further information regarding the exact adress of each point (example below):

OIDRechtswertHochwertStrasse (Street)Hausnummer (House Number)Zusatz (Extra)Ort (City)Postleitzahl (Postal Code)
XYXYXYWeinbergweg1aBerlinxxxxxxx

Based on this dataset i want to create (or lets say i tried to create) an adress locator within ArcCatalog using the house coordinate layer as reference and i want to publish it later as my own geocoding service within AGO.

Problem:

Unfortunately, there is no adress locator style which is able to recognize the field: House Number. Consequentely i am able to locate the City, Postal Code and Street but the Adress matches with the wrong house number. If i try to use the pre-defined Adress Locator Style : "Single House" the geocoding fails at all, even if i define the House Number field as required.

Does anyone know if there is an pre-defined adress locator for germany? The adress information i have are provided from a governmental institution, so i don´t want to re-organiz these data.

I also do not want to add any extra fields or using an online geocoding service. I am using ArcMap 10.2.2.

Maybe someone can help me. I have the feeling ESRI does not want ppl within Germany to use there own geolocation service because the problem seems to be an issue for many years now.

Thanks in advice,

Thomas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Thomas,

I got it to Geocode, here is what I needed to do:

1) Created a US - Single House Address Locator ( I only used the Street and Housenumber)

2) I added a field to the excel spreadsheet called Voll and wrote in the full address: 1 Weinbergweg

3) I opened ArcGIS Desktop added the spreadsheet and opened the Geocoding Toolbar.

4) I went to geocode Address, chose the newly created geocoder and as "Street or Intersection" I used the Voll field.

This gave me a 100% match. Maybe the issue is that Germans use Street Name and then the Housenumber and not the other way around?

I hope this helps!

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Thomas,

can you share some of your data (a couple of points), so I can try creating an address locator?

Tim

0 Kudos
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Tim,

attached you can find a sample dataset. The folder (Geocode) is in .zip - Format.

https://upload.uni-jena.de/data/562f8164b988f7.16903068/Geocode.zip  (url valid for 3 months)

The layer "Textdaten_Reference.shp" is the reference layer used for Geocoding.

The xlsx file is the table to be geocoded (containing one point from the Reference Layer - Weinbergweg 1).

Thank you in advance,

best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

What version are you using?

When you go to the following C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Geocode do you have locators that start with ger_ ?

0 Kudos
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tim,

i only have these files within the Locators - Folder:

ArcGis_Locator.PNG

0 Kudos
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

The Geocode - Folder is empty

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Thomas,

I got it to Geocode, here is what I needed to do:

1) Created a US - Single House Address Locator ( I only used the Street and Housenumber)

2) I added a field to the excel spreadsheet called Voll and wrote in the full address: 1 Weinbergweg

3) I opened ArcGIS Desktop added the spreadsheet and opened the Geocoding Toolbar.

4) I went to geocode Address, chose the newly created geocoder and as "Street or Intersection" I used the Voll field.

This gave me a 100% match. Maybe the issue is that Germans use Street Name and then the Housenumber and not the other way around?

I hope this helps!

Tim

0 Kudos
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Tim,

thanks alot! The Adress-Locator is working fine by using the House number in front of the Street. By puting the Adress Locators Single House Locator (using your "raodmap") together with a Street Locator Style into a composite Adress Locator i Geocode adresses within different postal code areas and cities! Thank you very much!

Btw.

Is there some configuration file, where the order is defined? So that i could use "Weinbergweg 1" instead of "1 Weinbergweg"? I mean its working now and its just a formula in excel or within the sql database.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Thomas

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Kein Problem!

Sadly, I don't know where the code would be to do this switch.

0 Kudos
ManuelaEhrhardt
New Contributor II

Same here ... the issue is that german adresse work the other way around. Did you find a solution to fix the problem until today?

0 Kudos