Add Map Service with ArcCatalog

Jump to solution
07-13-2017 10:39 AM
LisaT
by
Occasional Contributor III

We are in the process of upgrading from 10.0 to 10.5 (I know, quite a jump!).  I have a seemingly simple question that I have yet to find an answer to:  how do I create a new map service from within ArcCatalog?  With 10.0 all I had to do was to right-click and I had the option to "Add New Service".  I do not see that option, or anything like it, in 10.5.  I have connected to the Server and registered the database in the DataStore. I can publish the service in the Server Manager.  However, I find the Server Manager a bit cludgy in the way that you add and edit the services (I need different values than default for pooling and isolation).  If I can manage everything from ArcCatalog in the same manner as with 10.0, that would be great!  Please let me know if this is possible.

Also, in 10.0 it was important to chose the network name (\\myserver) as opposed to the mapped path (H:\) when selecting an msd.  10.5 is throwing me off because I will select my network name and .sd and the "Path" shown in the General tab shows the "H:\" drive and the .mxd!!  I still have testing to do, but I need to be able to auto-create layers and create a kml from the Javascript API, which with 10.0 requires the network name to display the map service, and the map service must be pointed to the msd.  Please provide any insight on how I need to set this up!

I also can't figure out how to change the isolation settings in 10.5.  In 10.0 I could change high isolation to low isolation on the "processes" tab of the map service.  Isolation settings are no longer there.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
LisaT
by
Occasional Contributor III

Oh, ok, looks like we were posting at the same time.  I will take a look at that document!

0 Kudos