WebGISDr Requirement - Identical Account Credentials

Jump to solution
09-12-2023 12:32 AM
IhabHassan
Esri Contributor

Hello Esri Community,

I have a question regarding a requirement related to the WebGIS Disaster Recovery (WebGISDr) tool, specifically concerning the 'webgisdr.properties' file.

One of the requirements mentioned is the need to have the same account credentials in this file. Does this imply that we are required to maintain identical usernames and passwords across both the source and target ArcGIS Enterprise environments?

I would appreciate clarification on this requirement to ensure our WebGISDr setup is in compliance.

Regards
Ihab
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anbinh
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ihab,

Not sure where you read the requirements. The requirements I am referring to is from here Create an ArcGIS Enterprise backup—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

If you are talking about the portal admin account, you don't need to have the same username and password across source and target, because you can still change username and password when you restore your backup in the target environment. Just make sure you edit the "webgisdr.properties" in the target before you run "webgisdr --import".

If you are talking about the Service account, the requirement is "The domain account or accounts you use to run your ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS Data Store services must have write access to the shared directory you specify for the backup files." In other words, this is about the permission, but not password. You may have different service account such as "arcgis" in your source and target, then you need to ensure your source "arcgis" account have read/write access to all the relevant directories in your source, and target "arcgis" account have read/write access to all the relevant directories in your target.

Hope it makes sense.

Cheers,

AB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
anbinh
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ihab,

Not sure where you read the requirements. The requirements I am referring to is from here Create an ArcGIS Enterprise backup—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

If you are talking about the portal admin account, you don't need to have the same username and password across source and target, because you can still change username and password when you restore your backup in the target environment. Just make sure you edit the "webgisdr.properties" in the target before you run "webgisdr --import".

If you are talking about the Service account, the requirement is "The domain account or accounts you use to run your ArcGIS Server, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS Data Store services must have write access to the shared directory you specify for the backup files." In other words, this is about the permission, but not password. You may have different service account such as "arcgis" in your source and target, then you need to ensure your source "arcgis" account have read/write access to all the relevant directories in your source, and target "arcgis" account have read/write access to all the relevant directories in your target.

Hope it makes sense.

Cheers,

AB

0 Kudos
IhabHassan
Esri Contributor

Hi Anbin,

Thanks for your response. The requirements that I mentioned are coming from this doco page here: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/overview-disaster-recovery-replica....
As mentioned there, one of the configuration items that needs to be identical across deployments when running the WebGISDR is 'Account credentials for the ...webgisdr.properties file'. So, in my question, I meant portaladmin/siteadmin accounts, apologies if that was not clear enough.
I guess you answered my question though, so thanks again.

Regards
Ihab
0 Kudos