Upgrading to Portal for ArcGIS 10.4

Jump to solution
02-25-2016 02:27 AM
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone!

I need urgent help please! I am in the process of upgrading from Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 to 10.4 and I'm stuck. I have successfully upgrade (to 10.4) all other associated applications such as, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS License Manager and ArcGIS for Server. Next on my list was Portal for ArcGIS, then the Web Adaptor last.

I thought the Portal for ArcGIS Account was the Initial Administrator Account or the existing Portal's Login detail. Tried both and I got the error seen below. Where am I going wrong? What is the Portal for ArcGIS Account?

Lara

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Try setting the password of your ArcGIS Server Account user within the Computer Management dialog:

Screen1.PNG

Then see if you get the 'invalid password' when you are specifying the Portal for ArcGIS account using the ArcGIS Server Account.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello Lara,

Portal for ArcGIS Account is new in 10.4 (Similar to arcgis account, when we configure ArcGIS Server). This is not the initial administrator account. The password should be in accordance to the Windows password policy. Try keeping a long string as password that includes Alphabets, numbers and special characters.

Let me know if it works.

Think Location
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jayanta.

I have tried varying string lengths with special characters, numbers, upper and lower case. No deal. What should i do now please?

0 Kudos
MiguelGonzález
New Contributor III

Hi Lara,

went to the procedure a couple of days ago without the problem you described.

Just to get things in a row:

In my understanding there are (at least) three types of Portal-Logins:

1. initial admin

2. main portal admin

3. portal user

I succeded to update portal by taking the main portal admin account at this update dialogue. What login type did you use?

Another idea would be that ESRI changed the password requirements in between the versions. Can you still login into the 10.3.1 portal (or portaladmin) to change the main-portal-admin-password to a strong password as Jayanta suggested and retry updating portal afterwards? (I suggest you have to go via port 7443 as you certainly deleted the webadaptor...)

Good luck!

Simon

0 Kudos
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Hello Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of all three types of Portal-Logins and I used the main portal admin account login, still no deal.

I also looked into the password requirements and tried to change it (please see my subsequent message below). Nada!

I can still login to portal and I did delete the webadaptor when I was trying to upgrade, but had to re-install it because I can't have the Portal down for too long while I sort out this upgrade problem, because my users.

Lara

0 Kudos
MiguelGonzález
New Contributor III

Hi Lara,

hmm - it's poking around in the dark, but it looks as if you want to try to change the password within the upgrad dialogue. My idea was rather to change the admin password within the 10.3 Portal:http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/dark.html

Login in to your Portal, go to My Organisation, Action (next to your admin account), show profile, edit my profile, change password (sorry - I don't know the exact labeling as my labels are in german ).

Any progress?

Cheers,

Simon

P.S.: With respect to the service running user: My Portal (more precisely the MS Windows Services) is also run by "Local System". Thus, this 'should' work... 😕

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Omolara,

This user specified here is the user that will run the Portal for ArcGIS service.  You stated that you already have ArcGIS Server installed.  For this install you created an ArcGIS Server Account (which defaults to the local windows user 'arcgis').  The 'arcgis' user runs the ArcGIS Server service:

Screen1.PNG

I just performed the upgrade myself and used this same user to run the Portal for ArcGIS service:

Screen2.PNG

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Jake. Can you please see my subsequent message below.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Is ArcGIS Server on the same server you are trying to install Portal for ArcGIS?

0 Kudos