Upgrade to ArcGIS for Server 10.3, ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3, and Portal for ArcGIS 10.3???

10-13-2015 11:54 AM
JamesFitzgerald
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

Currently, I have ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 and ArcGIS for Server 10.1. I want to use Portal for ArcGIS. Do I have to upgrade ArcGIS Desktop and Server in order to use Portal for ArcGIS 10.3?? I do not want to upgrade to 10.3 yet.

Thanks

J

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using an SDE database as part of your current deployment?

0 Kudos
JamesFitzgerald

Yes.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is it Oracle, SQL Server or something else?

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Depends on what you plan to do with Portal.

You can register map services from your 10.1 AGS to Portal 10.3.1

But if you plan on using a Hosting Sever and the DataStore then everything has to be in synch on the same version as Portal.

You can do a conglomeration of your Portal/DataStore/Hosting Server/Web adaptors and still register your 10.1 map services with Portal.

If you want to quickly build up a 10.3.1 Portal setup with full operation (aka a Full Stack AGS Server) then check out:

Blog posting:

Chef Cookbook available to automate ArcGIS for Server configuration | ArcGIS Blog

GitHub with instructions, cookbook, etc...

Get Started With ArcGIS Cookbook · Esri/arcgis-cookbook Wiki · GitHub

This will let you create an all-in-one server for experimentation (or usage) with very little effort.

This will setup the portal, hosting server, web adapters and datastore so users can publish feature services, etc...

Depending on your security setup, you might have to do some tweaking of that part which can be a bit tedious.

If going into production, you'll want a signed security certificate from a provider and not the private ones installed.

BTW - my understanding is you want to use 10.3.1 not 10.3.

There are a couple of good white papers mentioned in other threads regarding overviews of Portal.

I don't find the links right now.  But search for "ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Server Functionality Matrix" it's a pdf.

And Portal for ArcGIS 101 by Derek Law.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Here's the links to two papers of interest, haven't found the functionality matrix link yet:

Portal for ArcGIS 101

ArcGIS for Server 101

JamesFitzgerald

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I basically want to be able to access our web map application from remote areas with little to no internet service. Accessing or publishing data is not a concern since I only have two users. Will I be ok with Portal for ArcGIS 10.1? Or am I looking to upgrade?

J

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Pretty sure you want to upgrade.

First off, Portal is now bundled with AGS which it wasn't back when...

Secondly, I believe offline mode wasn't enabled until 10.2.2?

If you have to go to 10.2.2., you might as well go to 10.3.1

This depends perhaps on your licensing.

But I also think to go offline means you have to some extra work to do:

Take maps offline—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

I think just having a map service is not going to give you offline mode with portal.

You might have better luck in your scenario with Collector and AGOL:

Take maps offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Good luck with the project.