Upgrade ArcGIS for server from 10.3 to 10.4.1 with portal for ArcGIS

Jump to solution
08-02-2016 03:06 AM
AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I have ArcGIS for server and portal for ArcGIS enterprise.

Im using collector for arcgis and web appbuidler on the portal.

Im using sql server 2012 for the SDE.

And now i want to move to 10.4.1

Can anyone please share a step by step  guide on how to upgrade the server and the portal from 10.3 to 10.4.1?

any helpful links on how to back up everything without loosing the apps or the feature service

i dont want to loose anything from my server or portal, even the SSL configuration with my certificate

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
10 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Derek for your previous reply, it was very helpful and the upgrade was successful

Now I will do the same again to 10.5, but this time I need to change the domain name of the server as well.

Any tips for this? is there anything i should be careful with?

I read that the ArcGIS Server will automatically detect a machine name change or domain change and reconfigure the site to use the new one.

But what about the portal? should i go through each webmap / web app and change the services one by one?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Ali,

Apologies for the late reply, I was out of the office last week.

> ... I need to change the domain name of the server as well. ... But what about the portal?

This is NOT a supported workflow. You can't rename the machine name hosting Portal for ArcGIS. See help doc,

Common problems and solutions—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Derek:

You say you can't rename the machine name hosting Portal for ArcGIS.

What if you have Portal for ArcGIS on a Windows 2008 Server server and support for this type of server is being deprecated so you need to build a new Windows 2012 Server server for portal.  If you cannot rename the machine hosting Portal for ArcGIS, how can this task be accomplished?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael, I might be misunderstanding you question, but wouldn't you just build the new machine and authorize it on the new machine (deauthorized the old).  Then set up the new web adaptor with the new machine, but same URL/web as the old adaptor.  Wouldn't that work?  It's not renaming the Portal server, but replacing it (with a new server/server name). 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Michael,

> What if you have Portal for ArcGIS on a Windows 2008 Server server and support for this type of server is being deprecated so you need to build a new Windows 2012 Server server for portal.  If you cannot rename the machine hosting Portal for ArcGIS, how can this task be accomplished?

I believe you can use the ArcGIS Online Assistant app - which enables you to copy content between portals,

ArcGIS Online Assistant 

And option 2 would be using some python scripts to copy content, for example:

Example: Copy content—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

A commercial option for moving content across Portals and AGOL from geo-jobe is their Admin Tools package.  I don't have any experience with this package so can comment on its viability:

geo-jobe admin-tools

DerekLaw

Thanks for your comment Paul, I forgot about the GeoJobe tools!

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What are you using as the front-end to your Portal?  Are you using the web adaptor or your own reverse proxy?  If you're using the web adaptor, does it exist on the same machine or a different machine?  If it's on a different machine, is that running Windows Server 2008 as well?

0 Kudos