Unique value, many fields> Feature not displaying

08-02-2012 12:41 PM
ryanreise
New Contributor
I have a geodatabase line FC symbolized using the "Unique value, many fields" option. For some reason one of my features is not displaying in the map/MXD? It there and coded properly, but its not displying? Both fields have domains, but as I mentioned I am sure thay are coded properly? Anyone?

Thanks,

RR>
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have a geodatabase line FC symbolized using the "Unique value, many fields" option. For some reason one of my features is not displaying in the map/MXD? It there and coded properly, but its not displying? Both fields have domains, but as I mentioned I am sure thay are coded properly? Anyone?

Thanks,

RR>

Screen shot the table record for the feature showing the field values and then screen shot the layer Symbology properties with the value match you are expecting to be symbolized.  Also, go to the Add Values button dialog and press the get all values button to see if any show up as unused in your symbology.  You should verify the domain values in the table to ensure that a non-domain value did not get inserted using the Field Calculator.  The Field Calculator will not observe domain restrictions and the value will not be rejected by the field when the Field Calculator is used as long as it matches the field type.  Basically, I cannot think of a reason for the behavior you describe other than there being a mismatch in values or a layer definition query that prevents the feature from displaying (if it shows up with the identify tool, then it is not hidden by a definition query).
0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thanks,

RR>

Bumping this to the top because of possible explanation and I am also looking for alternatives on how to approach this too.

1. Could the problem be that you have polygons that are digitized on top of each other, where a larger polygon feature is "hidding" a smaller feature under it?  If you do a feature selection within the boundary of the larger polygon, does is select polygon features underneath it?

2.  I am running into this issue and is the nature of the data -- in my case, polygons are added as new ones come in regardless of the qualities of the feautre (ie, it "could" completely overlap a feature under it).  This means that no matter how different symbology may be, the one underneath the others will never be seen.
0 Kudos