Unfederating Portal - what will break?

12-02-2019 02:08 AM
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

We recently upgraded our Server and Portal from 10.5.1 to 10.7.1 but had to revert to the old version as our ancient intranet mapping system didn't appear to be able to read the services from 10.7.1 (this was the same from another 10.7.1 server we tried too).

We are planning to create a new server with 10.7.1 and unfederate the current one from Portal and then upgrade Portal, but leave the original server at 10.5.1.  This should  keep old system going until we have recreated new Portal based intranet mapping. When we unfereate, will the existing services still be available through the same rest endpoint url?

We also have a couple of Portal apps using services form the existing server. Will these still work?

Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

Once you unfederate, the ArcGIS Server (not Portal) will take over the security. So you will now need to login and authenticate with the ArcGIS Server and not Portal. So all of your existing services will need to get moved over to the server authentication.

As far as the rest endpoint URL, it might depend on your specific deployment. If you are using a reverse proxy and set a web context URL in Portal and you are using that URL in your intranet mapping system, then your URLs will probably have to change. If you are just using the machine name URL, then you might be fine, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Also, I would anticipate your Portal apps will break when you unfederate because the feature service the Portal app is pulling from would disappear. With that being said, I believe you can manually bring those feature services back into Portal using the rest endpoint URL of the feature service.

0 Kudos