Text field does not allow carriage returns?

Jump to solution
08-16-2021 10:28 PM
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi All,

A user asked me how to enter a carriage return into a text field in Portal. You'd assume you could do that right? I haven't been able to with the usual tricks. i.e Shift/Alt/Ctrl + Enter or by copy/pasting multiline text from Notepad. Portal just reformats it as a space. What my user wanted to do was a little dot point list in a comment field which I think is pretty reasonable. I went back to field creation in Pro and could only find just a simple 'Text' field. 

James_OKane_0-1629178088714.png

Is there a way to do this, and if not can anyone think of a suitable workaround?

Cheers,
James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor
You can add a
e.g. 21 Retief
street and it will represent on a new line, it does add the html to your data so use with caution.
[cid:image001.png@01D79340.3E3FAF30]

Regards
Henry

View solution in original post

4 Replies
HenryLindemann
Esri Contributor
You can add a
e.g. 21 Retief
street and it will represent on a new line, it does add the html to your data so use with caution.
[cid:image001.png@01D79340.3E3FAF30]

Regards
Henry
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi Henry,

Confirmed that using the HTML line break works in the portal interface.  

First line <br /> Second line

I'll make sure its used appropriately, thanks. Thanks too to @jcarlson, that's a good thing to keep in mind as well.  

Cheers,
James

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Adding newline characters depends on the interface your users are working with. In the webmap table, for instance, it will not keep the newline character.

Via Survey123, however, using a multiline text entry box, the newline characters do persist.

jcarlson_0-1629222089704.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
James_OKane
New Contributor III

You're right @jcarlson. I ended up configuring the popup to use the 'rich text' edit type for my comment field (see attached). Works great as my user also wanted to use dot points. It doesn't appear as an option in Pro, only the portal. 

richtext.png

0 Kudos