Symbology is creating delimited values, potentially embedded?

1608
5
06-08-2014 11:47 AM
ReedCoil
New Contributor
I am performing the simple task of creating shapefiles from XY tables using some Excel spreadsheets and am having problems with the symbology. Each time I try to classify using unique values, I get a set of delimited values that are not in the Excel file and they are not showing up in the attribute tables. I have manually re-typed the entire Excel file and have had the same problem. The first column has commas within the text file, so I tried deleting the commas (and the column completely at one point) and the same problem persists. I had no problems with one sheet from the same file, but this specific sheet has me baffled.

Does anyone know how to rectify this problem or any possible solutions I could try?  I have attached a screen shot to show what is happening.

Thanks,

Reed
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
It might help to see the Excel file, or a sample of it.
0 Kudos
ReedCoil
New Contributor
It is attached. The fields after the lat/long are presence/absence and totals are all at the end. I copied and pasted only the values from the previous file.

Thanks
0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
That is bizarre, I opened your file and the same thing happens, bringing the data in as a layer or a shapefile.  What is even stranger is when you do a select by attribute on the field and hit get unique values, it just shows the "Certain" "Probable" and "Uncertain", not those with the delimited values.  Even re-doing the values in ArcMap does not fix the issue, I selected each attribute and did a field calculator on each with the string certain, probable, and uncertain and it still shows "Certain , 1, 1" etc. in the unique values symbology. 

So now you know its not just you.  As for a solution, I'm a bit stumped so far.
0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
I don't know either, but you get the same behavior on every field. I put the table in a file gdb, same thing. Added an OID field, same.
0 Kudos
ReedCoil
New Contributor
I changed all of the binary presence/absence columns to yes and no and the delimited values in symbology changed to a  '#,y,n' format so something is altering the database so that it is adding the majority of the columns as delimited data. I don't get it at all. Like I said previously, I took a different sheet from the same original spreadsheet that also had presence absence data and it was perfectly fine.

Thanks for taking a look. Maybe this extra chunk of information will click for someone as to what is happening.
0 Kudos