Select to view content in your preferred language

Search publicly shared ArcGIS Online content from ArcGIS Enterprise Portal

Jump to solution
12-20-2023 12:40 PM
rmcooper_wcpss
New Contributor III

In ArcGIS Online, when you can search not only your organization and Living Atlas for content, but also publicly shared content on ArcGIS Online.

rmcooper_wcpss_0-1703104210870.png

Specifically, there is an option to deactivate the default limitation of returning search results of content only within your organization:

rmcooper_wcpss_1-1703104300807.png

We have ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 deployed. When I attempt to search for content, I am limited to my Portal and the Living Atlas. There is no option to search outside my organization.

rmcooper_wcpss_2-1703104428923.png

rmcooper_wcpss_3-1703104455508.png

I understand I can add web services by their URL. I'll do that if I have to, but is there a way to enable search of ArcGIS Online from within ArcGIS Enterprise Portal? I'd like to have the option to search publicly-shared content on AGOL from Portal. I'm the admin for our ArcGIS Enterprise and nothing in the Portal settings is sticking out to me. Thanks for any guidance you all can offer!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can find the "ArcGIS Online" option when you browse layers in the map viewer:

jcarlson_0-1703106838230.png

You'd need a new tab in the Content page or something to search outside the portal. If you watch the network traffic on your browser when using the AGOL search in a map, that option actually searches arcgis.com, where the rest of the tabs specifically search your portal. Having the blanket "search" page operate against two different URLs would probably be harder to pull off.

In AGOL, you're always searching arcgis.com, and filtering by org is a simpler thing to do there.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can find the "ArcGIS Online" option when you browse layers in the map viewer:

jcarlson_0-1703106838230.png

You'd need a new tab in the Content page or something to search outside the portal. If you watch the network traffic on your browser when using the AGOL search in a map, that option actually searches arcgis.com, where the rest of the tabs specifically search your portal. Having the blanket "search" page operate against two different URLs would probably be harder to pull off.

In AGOL, you're always searching arcgis.com, and filtering by org is a simpler thing to do there.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
rmcooper_wcpss
New Contributor III

Thanks, I figured there was some workflow to pull in public AGOL content. For our case, finding this content through the MapViewer will suffice.

0 Kudos
jmcewen_ddg
New Contributor III

Anybody know of a way to modify the Portal home page to add a 'Search ArcGIS Online' tab? 99% of our users are not 'GIS' people but they still need to search AGO. The workaround works and I even surprised Esri tech support with that today, but for a 'regular' person, that's at least one too many steps.