PROJECTION QUESTION...

09-15-2010 03:17 AM
JeremyChevrier
New Contributor
I am creating a map that will show radio coverage of up to 45 kilometers (buffer zone) range around particular towns in Mali, West Africa. I want to then do a clip to pull out all of the villages within the buffer zone ranges in order to calculate the total number of population in radio reception range. What would be the best projection to use keeping in mind my location and also the purpose of the map?

Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
I am creating a map that will show radio coverage of up to 45 kilometers (buffer zone) range around particular towns in Mali, West Africa. I want to then do a clip to pull out all of the villages within the buffer zone ranges in order to calculate the total number of population in radio reception range. What would be the best projection to use keeping in mind my location and also the purpose of the map?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

If you're using 9.3 or 10, and you're buffering points, keep the point data in a geographic coordinate system. The geoprocessing buffer tool will then create 'geodetic'-based buffers. That is, the distances will be unaffected by being in a projected coordinate system.

Melita
0 Kudos