Select to view content in your preferred language

Prevent Publishers From Copying Sensitive Data

06-06-2024 01:32 PM
Labels (2)
GerryGarza
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I have been developing apps on Esri's ArcGIS Enterprise platform since 2015. A new Publisher level user brought something concerning to my attention. He was able to download a complete copy of one of our company's sensitive data layers. When I started with AE 10.4 or 10.5, I remember a choice under the layers Settings tab that stated, "Prevent this item from being copied". It was above or below Prevent this item from being deleted. Now, I work with AE 10.9.1 and AE 11.2 and don't see that choice anymore. Does anyone remember being able to lock down layers from within Portal after creating a service. Has anyone figured out how to keep sensitive data from walking away?

Esri, we understand you want to share everything with everyone, but sometimes highly sensitive data must be kept in-house.

Regards,

Gerry

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

This might help.

Data download settings—ArcGIS Enterprise Sites | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

The software has settings to protect the sensitive data from being downloaded.

If it's an ArcGIS server service, check this out:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.9.1/publish-services/windows/editor-permissions-for-featu...

simoxu_0-1717751955249.png

If it's a hosted feature layer, the following link may help you out:
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm

0 Kudos
GerryGarza
Occasional Contributor

Thank you both for your replies.

I do have EXTRACT unchecked, but this tech savvy user was still able to pull the entire layer. I guess I should watch his workflow. This is a real issue in our industry.

Regards,

Gerry

GerryGarza_0-1717762410221.png

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Technically, if a user can query your service, he or she will be able to save the query result, I don't think you can stop that from happening. However, you have control what information you want to expose in a query, where the query is initiated, etc.

0 Kudos