Select to view content in your preferred language

Portal upgrade failed. Failed to stop the database server - 10.9.0 to 11.1

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
Thomas_Puthusserry
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

While upgrading the portal VMs in a HA deployment (10.9.0 to 11.1), it is failing at the upgrade process: the error message is :

Upgrade failed. Failed to stop the database server. Timed out

The step is below:

1. Started the installation in standby VM, and waited the arcgis service to stop (to keep primary node as it is)

2. Installed Portal upgrade software and initiated the upgrade process

3. Everything went well, until an error comes: Upgrade failed. Failed to stop the database server. Timed out (see attached log file, line 725)

Thomas_Puthusserry_1-1718453337041.png

4. It then started the upgrade roll back.

Swapped the primary with standby node and tried the upgrade: exactly same error.

@JonathanQuinn any suggestions what could be wrong and how to address this?

Thomas_Puthusserry_0-1718452853191.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Thomas_Puthusserry
Occasional Contributor

Thanks  @Dan_Brumm , managed to upgrade after three attempts. The weird thing is had to stop the arcgis service in the standby while installing 11.1 in primary. After the upgrade of database and contents in primary, came back to standby and started installing 11.1. Once the installation finished, started the post upgrade steps from primary. That, as expected, upgraded the standby database and HA node updated as well. All good in the end.

Thomas 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dan_Brumm
Occasional Contributor II

I have run into the same issue before.    I started unregistering the standby portal before I upgrade. Our last couple of upgrades have been flawless.  

Once the upgrade is complete, I go back to the standby machine, uninstall, reinstall and join. 

Daniel Brumm
GIS Nerd
Thomas_Puthusserry
Occasional Contributor

Thanks  @Dan_Brumm , managed to upgrade after three attempts. The weird thing is had to stop the arcgis service in the standby while installing 11.1 in primary. After the upgrade of database and contents in primary, came back to standby and started installing 11.1. Once the installation finished, started the post upgrade steps from primary. That, as expected, upgraded the standby database and HA node updated as well. All good in the end.

Thomas 

0 Kudos