Portal installation on Workgroup and Authenticating with AD

Jump to solution
11-30-2015 07:32 PM
ChennaKishore
Esri Contributor

We have asituation in our new environment:

1. We have ArcGIS Server10.3.1 in a Domain.

2. We are setting up ArcGIS Portal 10.3.1 on a DMZ location. As per security they will not add the portal machine to the domain, so It remains workgroup.

3. Server and Portal can communicate with each other, all ports are opened.I can access ArcGIS server Manager on Portal machine.

My questions:

a) Can we federate Server with Portal?

b) Portal need to be authenticated with Active Directory. Is it doable?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chenna,

Based on the scenario you've described above,

Q1) Can we federate Server with Portal?

A1) Yes, you should be able to federate your Server site with Portal for ArcGIS.

Q2) Portal need to be authenticated with Active Directory. Is it doable?

A2) This depends. You would need to ensure that Portal for ArcGIS can access your Windows AD. You would have to open some ports to the DMZ, which may or may not be acceptable for your security requirements. In my experience, this is probably NOT a good idea as it would likely be a security concern.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JamieThompson2
New Contributor III

Chenna,

Is this a problem you are having with Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online or Portal? If so, could you please elaborate on the issue you are having? If this does not have to do with our product, then I think your question may have been redirected to the incorrect place If this is the case, then I may be able to help you find the appropriate place, so you can get the help that you need

Thanks!

Jamie Thompson - GEO Jobe GIS Consulting

0 Kudos
ChennaKishore
Esri Contributor

Jamie,

Yes, I place this question in wrong location. Please help me on this to post in right place.

Thank you

0 Kudos
JamieThompson2
New Contributor III

Chenna,

We have moved your question to "All Places > GIS > Web GIS > Portal for ArcGIS > Discussions" 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chenna,

Based on the scenario you've described above,

Q1) Can we federate Server with Portal?

A1) Yes, you should be able to federate your Server site with Portal for ArcGIS.

Q2) Portal need to be authenticated with Active Directory. Is it doable?

A2) This depends. You would need to ensure that Portal for ArcGIS can access your Windows AD. You would have to open some ports to the DMZ, which may or may not be acceptable for your security requirements. In my experience, this is probably NOT a good idea as it would likely be a security concern.

Hope this helps,

ChennaKishore
Esri Contributor

Hi Derek,

Thank you for the clarifications. We are able to install the server and portal. Authenticated the enterprise identity store with LDAP using RODC to overcome on security concerns.

Thank You.

0 Kudos