Portal for ArcGIS Update (Is it coming soon?)

Jump to solution
11-10-2015 04:07 AM
OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Can anyone give me authoritative information concerning the next upgrade of Portal for ArcGIS (I'm currently the administrator of the 10.3.1 version). I am desperate for some of the functionalities of ArcGIS Online to be included in Portal for ArcGIS, functionalities such as Custom Print Layout and Analysis/Perform Analysis.

ArcGIS Online & Portal for ArcGIS are platforms that enhance the promotion of enterprise GIS in organizations as well as make GIS more user-friendly to non-GIS users/staff. The absence of Custom Print Layout functionality in Portal for ArcGIS therefore defeats the the purpose of user-friendliness. At present, my users print their maps through a laborious sequence of steps (because the Printer functionality provided on the Map Viewer is less than optimal. No legend, scale bar, north arrow, choices of layout and connection to available physical printers.). My users,

1. Create and save their map,

2. Share the map,

3. Make a Web Application (through Configurable Apps or Web AppBuilder),

4. Use/Add the Printer to the App,

5. Print.

We have used Portal for ArcGIS in my organization for 10months now and the most frequent complaint from my users is that they forget the steps to print and have to either call me for support or go through the user manual I created for them (they prefer to call me every time, which they feel is faster). Sometimes they give up on the map entirely. It would really be great if they could create, save and print their maps right at the Map Viewer. (if there is anyone out there who doesn't go through these steps to print their maps, please let me know how you do it).

Secondly, the Perform Analysis tool would be awesome on Portal for ArcGIS. My users will be able to perform more spatial analysis functions, thereby extending their usage of the portal from merely mapping.

I look forward to responses.

Lara

ArcGIS Online gets frequent updates through the course of a year, why can't Portal for ArcGIS be accorded the same priority. I believe the Portal for ArcGIS community (if not as large as the ArcGIS Online community), is growing.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

> is the intent to make a 10.3.1 upgrade to 10.4 fairly painless?

Yes. You will be able to upgrade from Portal 10.3.1 to Portal 10.4 "in place" - just as you did when migrating from Portal 10.3 to 10.3.1. Upgrading will NOT require a new install of Portal.

Hope this helps,

PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Derek.

And thanks for sharing the info on 10.4's release.

0 Kudos
AntonSizo_
New Contributor III

I do hope that Portal 10.4 will work with attribute domains better than 10.3.1. Particularly with WAB...

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI,

The Portal for ArcGIS 10.4 help documentation is now available online:

Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for Server

To learn about what's new in 10.4,

What's new in Portal for ArcGIS 10.4—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4) | ArcGIS for Server

Hope this helps,