Portal - Create Initial Admin Account

12-19-2016 01:45 AM
kclee
by
New Contributor III

Hi all,

When creating the initial administrator account in Portal, I'm having an error as below. (10.5)

"The user 'whoami' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. does not have full control permission to the directory C:\arcgisportal."

From the logs: "the process of creating a new site failed. Reverting site creation. The user 'whoami' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file. does not have full control permission to the directory C:\arcgisportal"

Permission are given at the folder level. Have tried re-installing (deleted folders, restarted) to no avail.

I have a server site with arcgis data store.

Hope to hear on any workaround.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Kc - Can you open a command prompt and type whoami? You should get a result of your logged in credentials. If it returns the same error that you are experiencing with your portal install then you may have a PATH environmental variable problem. The whoami.exe command is in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. Ensure this path (usually %SystemRoot%\system32) is part of your 'path' System variables.

Adam Z

kclee
by
New Contributor III

Thanks Adam, It fixed the 'whoami' error, whereby it displayed my username arcgis. Followed by Jayanta's tip of adding arcgis user to the folder.

kclee
by
New Contributor III

Thanks Adam, It fixed the 'whoami' error, whereby it displayed my username arcgis. Followed by Jayanta's tip of adding arcgis user to the folder.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you give permissions to both <Portal for ArcGIS User> and <Current User>  for C:\arcgisportal folder?

Think Location
0 Kudos
kclee
by
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

Indeed i left out arcgis user to the folder permissions. Thanks!

kclee
by
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

Indeed i left out arcgis user to the folder permissions. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ShivaSandrana
New Contributor

I am getting the same "Whoami" error while setting up ArcGIS Portal. How do I give permissions to both <Portal for ArcGIS User> and <Current User>  for C:\arcgisportal folder?

0 Kudos