Select to view content in your preferred language

Overwrite hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Portal

Jump to solution
07-24-2024 06:09 AM
bogdanpalade2
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to overwrite a hosted feature layer via ArcGIS Pro (overwrite web layer) and the operation fails with the error code 500: Unable to delete item. The same operation worked fine for weeks until yesterday. Checking the ArcGIS Server logs, I see the following:

"Failed to stop one or more services: [Hosted/liveUA.FeatureServer]. Service 'liveua'.'featureserver' in folder 'hosted' is currently being configured by another administrative operation. Please try again later."

Do you why this happens?

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've never seen that particular error, but hosted layer overwriting has caused many issues for us in the past. If you're just refreshing the data from some other source, you should probably look at a truncate/append process to avoid these kinds of things. But that's sort of besides the point.

Can you see anything in your Server logs about that specific layer? Or in your DataStore logs? It may seem drastic, but you might try restarting your Server, then trying to perform the overwrite.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
berniejconnors
Regular Contributor

@bogdanpalade2 Please provide more information.  Where is your service hosted - in ArcGIS Online or in ArcGIS Enterprise?  Is your service running as a dedicated instance or in a shared pool?

Bernie.

0 Kudos
bogdanpalade2
New Contributor III

Hi,

1. I mentioned in the title, the service is on the Portal (Enterprise). 

2. I mentioned that it is a hosted feature service so your second question does not apply. 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I've never seen that particular error, but hosted layer overwriting has caused many issues for us in the past. If you're just refreshing the data from some other source, you should probably look at a truncate/append process to avoid these kinds of things. But that's sort of besides the point.

Can you see anything in your Server logs about that specific layer? Or in your DataStore logs? It may seem drastic, but you might try restarting your Server, then trying to perform the overwrite.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
bogdanpalade2
New Contributor III

Hi Josh, we also had no idea of what was going on and ended up restarting the server which solved the issue. We will see now how temporary that is. If it continues to bring problems we will have to investigate the truncate/append method. Thank you!

0 Kudos