Map Re-Size Scaling

05-02-2013 10:04 AM
T_BrennKelly-Mckinnon
New Contributor
Good Afternoon Everyone.
Currently I am converting a large amount of maps from 8.5 by 11 (normal size) to 11 by 17 large size. Whenever I change the printer settings to the larger size the original map stays the same size. Unfortunately this makes re-sizing and reformatting an arduous chore as each element and graphic needs to be re-sized, re-scaled and re-shaped. Is there any way to change the size (or print settings of a document in ArcMap) and have the current existing map products adapt to this new size automatically instead of manually changing each element?
Thanks for your help
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
I do not think there is any good way to get around that. 

That is the nature. When you change the paper size you change the relative scale.  Think on it this way.

pretend in your smaller map that 1 inch = 1 mile (or km) in the real world.  now you make your paper larger and you spread that area on your map to fit, now 1 inch = 1.5 miles (or km).  Everything changes.

However, when you are changing paper size there is a check box to scale map elements proportionally to changes in page size.

Also in the layout view you can use the Select Elements tool to select everthing and then you right click and properties size and position.  There you can adjust size. Check the preserve aspect ration option first.  then you can specify your size and location on the page.

Also, if you just need to make your maps larger for printing.  Simply export or print your 8 1/2 by 11 maps as PDF and then in Acrobat (or reader) change the paper size and have it fit to paper.

Good Afternoon Everyone.
Currently I am converting a large amount of maps from 8.5 by 11 (normal size) to 11 by 17 large size. Whenever I change the printer settings to the larger size the original map stays the same size. Unfortunately this makes re-sizing and reformatting an arduous chore as each element and graphic needs to be re-sized, re-scaled and re-shaped. Is there any way to change the size (or print settings of a document in ArcMap) and have the current existing map products adapt to this new size automatically instead of manually changing each element?
Thanks for your help
0 Kudos