Item views

Jump to solution
11-20-2023 01:21 AM
Labels (1)
SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

When checking an item on a portal you can see the number of views.

SebastienPetit_0-1700472011759.png

I am trying to know what is defined as a view?

I did some test and if i click two times the item from same browser and few minutes it does not go up.

Question is "how is it calculated or recorded"?

I could not find much information about that

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The view count is how many times the item has been loaded in the web browser. For maps, apps and scenes, this means the item details page or the item is opened. Separately. Meaning going to a map item details page and then opening the map, counts as two views.

For hosted layers, the number of requests, rather than views, is shown on the usage tab. This refers to how many times a request is made against the service. Opening a map may create 1 view against the map item and multiple usage requests against the hosted feature layer in the map.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The view count is how many times the item has been loaded in the web browser. For maps, apps and scenes, this means the item details page or the item is opened. Separately. Meaning going to a map item details page and then opening the map, counts as two views.

For hosted layers, the number of requests, rather than views, is shown on the usage tab. This refers to how many times a request is made against the service. Opening a map may create 1 view against the map item and multiple usage requests against the hosted feature layer in the map.

JonathanDandois
Occasional Contributor

@ChristopherCounsell For counting views on feature layers within a web map, does this consider whether the layer is visible?  For example if a Web Map has 5 layers, but only one is ON/visible by default, it seems like the View Count increments the other OFF/not-visible layers whenever the map is loaded in Map View or an App.

In my own testing, like that of @SebastienPetit it seems like when a web map loads, wait a minute or two, then the View Count on the feature layers within the web map increment by about 2-3 counts even if the layer is not visible in the web map / app. 

0 Kudos
SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.

I did a few tests and it is totally correct.