Is it possible to create a role for external users which only shows content shared to them in a group? Hiding all the public maps and layers too?

Jump to solution
03-21-2022 08:44 PM
Hayley
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there, 

I am trying to create a role for a user outside of our organization and would like to hide all content apart from the content I have shared with them in a group. This means also hiding all our organization's public maps, groups, layers and apps. 

Is this possible? 

HL
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so. By default, "public" items are the most permissive, allowing even anonymous users to view them. Even if you could create a user that was somehow more restricted than anonymous users, those users could just log out and see the public content.

Now, you could disable anonymous access to your portal, but then nobody gets to see things without being logged in.

What exactly is the use case in which a logged in user should have less access than an anonymous user?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so. By default, "public" items are the most permissive, allowing even anonymous users to view them. Even if you could create a user that was somehow more restricted than anonymous users, those users could just log out and see the public content.

Now, you could disable anonymous access to your portal, but then nobody gets to see things without being logged in.

What exactly is the use case in which a logged in user should have less access than an anonymous user?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS