I need some help!

04-29-2013 01:19 AM
TsvetkoKrastev
New Contributor
Hey guys! I need some help with ArcGIS 10.1 . I study Geology and Geoinformatics and this semester we started learning ArcGIS.
I missed a lot of the lectures and now I have to make the map by myself or fail the class..
And since the teacher is duche and he don't want to help me, I've come here.
Can you give me some guidance on how to georeference a *.TIFF image. I got an old map that is scanned to *.TIFF file. I cropped it using Photoshop, because the original image was to big for the program to handle, apparently..
Here is the map that I have: http://oi40.tinypic.com/24nlkdj.jpg
I have to load this map in ArcGIS and draw some stuff on it.. I've been told that I have to open the map through the ArcGIS Catalog, but that made me even more confused..
So, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S: I would need more help with this, but for now I think that that is enough.. 😄
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Have a look at the help file on georeferencing here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/to_another_raster/009t000001z9000000/

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
TsvetkoKrastev
New Contributor
А colleague send me his map, but I have troubles opening it.. I mean, I can load it in ArcGIS, but I can't see anything on it and the layers have this "!" next to them.. Is there a way to open his project to see what he's been doing?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
А colleague send me his map, but I have troubles opening it.. I mean, I can load it in ArcGIS, but I can't see anything on it and the layers have this "!" next to them.. Is there a way to open his project to see what he's been doing?

Thanks!

Hello,

The data is not stored in the map document, the layers are only referencing the data. As you only have the MXD, not the actual data it was referencing, I would suggest you have your colleague create a map package.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
Have a look at the help file on georeferencing here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/to_another_raster/009t000001z9000000/

Regards

Anthony

Yup, I use this a lot and love it.  Georeferencing can also be achieved with vector layers as your target location.  Your map has clear topo lines, roads, and streams; those are good things to reference to if you have corresponding layers handy.  Many jurisdictions share those for free download.  Just do a Google search for example "free GIS data roads" for your state or country.
0 Kudos
TsvetkoKrastev
New Contributor
I have to tie up the map to a specific coordinate system.
--
Also, he didn't send my any *.mxd files. I have some *.tfwx, *.aux, *.ovr, *.dbf, *.prj, *.sbn,  *.sbx, *.shp, *.shx ..
Hm... I were also able to open the map and see what's going on.. Just needed to drag the layers from the catalog.
Not sure, if this is proper..
Also, I tried to georeference the map using the 4 corners where I know the coordinates and using the "input x & y" function, but I keep getting all those -0.7*** px errors or 11 px errors.. 😐
How to reduce their number to zero? Because, 11px error is a lot.. :S

Thanks!
0 Kudos
SamCoggins1
New Contributor III
Opening the files:

1) Open the .msd you were given.
2) Put all the files you were given in a folder called "Test" on whichever directory you are working from.
3) Double click on any file name in the mxd, the Layer Properties dialogue box will open.
4) Click on the Source tab.
5) You can find the layer's file name here. Write it down. According to your description it will have a .shp or .tif file extension.
6) Close layer properties
7) You said a bunch of the files in the .mxd show up with a red "!" next to them. Click on the red "!"
😎 Navigate to your "Test" folder.
9) If your file had a .shp extension find the file name with .shp in you "Test" folder and double click it. This sets the data source for the rest of the files also.
10) If your file had a .tif extension, find the .tif file and double click it.
11) All you files should now appear in ArcGIS and the red "!" disappear.

Georeferencing: If you're concerned about the Georeferencing RMSE try these steps.

1) Right click on the tool bars in ArcGIS and a drop down list of tool bars will appear.
2) Click on Georeferencing, if the tool bar name already has a black check mark next to it, it is already displayed in ArcGIS.
3) A tool bar will pop up or be present on screen in ArcGIS.
4) Click on Help, search for georeferencing and follow the instructions provided.
5) One thing is that the image you're using is already georeferenced, so you will either have to improve it, or delete the georeference information.
6) To delete georeference information, go to the files you were given and take only the .tif or .jpg file out and copy it into a folder called "Test2" in your directory.
7) Now use the Add Data Button in Arc GIS to add the image from the "Test2" folder.
😎 You probably won't see it pop up on screen.
9) If you zoom to the extent of your layers in ArcGIS. Click on the Globe symbol next to the zoom tools. Then go to the Georeferencing tool bar and hit the drop down box, and click on fit to display.
10) From here you have to match features between the image and the shapefiles. Try to pick road intersections, they're usually easily identified on both sets of data.
11) You can follow the help file from here.
12) Go to class... I apologise if you genuinely couldn't make your classes... I used to teach at a university and it annoys me when people can't be bothered to show up for class then expect help from others because they're too lazy to sit in a lecture for an hour. Hopefully you have a good reason not to be in class...
0 Kudos
ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor
Hey TK,
Please follow up and let us know how it went.
0 Kudos
GeospatialTechnology
Occasional Contributor
Do you have a valid reason why you didn't attend classes? Illness, etc?
0 Kudos
MarkFawkes
Occasional Contributor
Perhaps the forum members need to be acknowledged when his assignment is handed in?   :-d
0 Kudos