How to get monthly usage statistics in Portal for ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
11-02-2015 07:05 PM
JürgenAchilles
Occasional Contributor

For a given month I would like to know how many users connected, which maps or apps were used by how many users etc.

Is the 'My Organisation" tab the only way or is it possible to download the data?

Jürgen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jürgen,

When you say "the 'My Organisation' tab", if you are referring to the Activity Dashboard capability in Portal for ArcGIS, then yes - this is the current best means to get information on how your Portal is being used; by how many different Portal members; which items are the most popular, etc.

About usage reports—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Another option is to write custom scripts using PortalPy to query for the information you're looking for.

Scripting administrative tasks with PortalPy—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

We are always looking to enhance the reporting capabilities in Activity Dashboard. If you have feedback and enhancement suggestions, please let us know.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Jürgen,

When you say "the 'My Organisation' tab", if you are referring to the Activity Dashboard capability in Portal for ArcGIS, then yes - this is the current best means to get information on how your Portal is being used; by how many different Portal members; which items are the most popular, etc.

About usage reports—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Another option is to write custom scripts using PortalPy to query for the information you're looking for.

Scripting administrative tasks with PortalPy—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

We are always looking to enhance the reporting capabilities in Activity Dashboard. If you have feedback and enhancement suggestions, please let us know.

Hope this helps,

HeathAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to export usage as a pdf from portal 10.6.1.  I have opened the "VIEW STATUS" link and those statistics are handy but I'm not sure if i can export those statistics.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Health,

Sorry for the late reply. I am in the process of trying to track down an answer for you. Will post more when I have an update.

Thanks for your patience,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Health,

Apologies for the late follow up. It took some time to track down an answer on your question.

> Is there a way to export usage as a pdf from portal 10.6.1...

From the Dev team, "We do not expose the usage statistics used on the 'status' page. You can gather general statistics using the User object, Item object, Item.usage() and gis.admin.history() via custom scripts with the Python API. Some users will store these daily statistics in a hosted table and aggregate the data to fit their needs."

Hope this helps and thanks for your patience,

HeathAnderson

Thank you.  I'll take a look at doing that.

0 Kudos
SalmanRafiq
New Contributor II

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your post here, I am also trying to get the user usage statistics like, how many users has logged in ArcGIS Portal. but the problem I am facing is that browser save the user credentials in the cache and user do not need to enter their login credentials again. due to that we are not able to record the login information. in the logs it is showing that the user logged only once. do we have any solution for this?

DerekLaw

Hi Salman,

> I am also trying to get the user usage statistics like, how many users has logged in ArcGIS Portal. but the problem I am facing is that browser save the user credentials in the cache and user do not need to enter their login credentials again. due to that we are not able to record the login information. ... do we have any solution for this?

The only usage information we store in Portal for ArcGIS is when a user last logged into Portal. If the browser has cached the user's credentials, we will not log this as a login event as far as I'm aware.

Please post an enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site, ArcGIS Ideas 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
SherieTaylor
New Contributor III

I also did monthly tracking of the number of times each of our apps was viewed.  Now we're in Portal and I can't figure out a way to do it

0 Kudos
HeathAnderson

Are you using Google Analytics to track usage?

0 Kudos