Getting dynamic text to update on export/print

08-19-2010 07:06 AM
ChrisWelch
New Contributor
I'm trying to put dynamic text in my marginalia so that we know exactly when a map was printed or exported out. I've inserted the "Date and Time" dynamic text, and if I hit refresh on the screen, it updates just fine. When I go to print or export however, it just keeps the same value it had since the last time I forced a refresh with it on the screen. This can mean that it will be days old.

Is there any good way to force this to update happen automatically on printing/exporting? I'm trying to find a way that doesn't require users to do manually force the update if possible.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor
Hi Chris, 

Could you provide some more information about what workflow you are using to print or export and what kind of dynamic text you are using?  There are actually several types of dynamic text related to this, date saved, date printed, date exported, current date and current time.
My text updates and I am using the standard print and export dialogs and the current date and current time dynamic text. 

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
ChrisWelch
New Contributor
Thanks for the response David.

I'm also using the standard print and export dialogs, and I'm using the [Date and Time] text with the M/D/YYYY H:MM:SS format. I just did a test and I can get the text to update dynamically when I hit refresh (still not on print or export). If I run MXD Doctor on it and open the doctored MXD, it refuses to update until I enter a *new* piece of dynamic text. Once I do that, the old piece seems to "remember" that it needs to update when I hit refresh. With the non-doctored MXD, the text is immediately dynamic (still not on print or export) the way it's supposed to be. I'll be happy with that, I don't really need resolution down to the second.

I know, it's weird. At least it explains why some of my date and times are days old.
0 Kudos
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor
It sounds like you are using dynamic text from MPS-Atlas.  That would explain my confusion. At version 10 we released a new kind of dynamic text that works within a standard text element and is available without an additional extension. That text updates when using the standard print and export dialogs. With MPS-Atlas dynamic text If you print or export from the ArcMap menu, there will be no update.  If you use the MPS-Atlas print or export menu there should be an update.

David
0 Kudos