Error: The index service seems to be unavaliable. Please check the index service.

07-24-2018 09:57 AM
TobiasFimpel
Occasional Contributor

I get this error intermittently when attempting to create and delete accounts. The intallation was done with Enterprise Builder on a virtual machine.

When I go to portaladmin I can see in teh Index Status the users "Count in store" is greater than "Count in index". Re-indexing does not solve the problem. I assume this symptom is related to the error message ("Error: The index service seems to be unavaliable. Please check the index service.)"

Software version is 10.6

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
DanCamboia
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. I'll wait for support.

0 Kudos
AaronDorsey1
New Contributor III

Any update?

0 Kudos
DanCamboia
New Contributor

It was definitely a process, but Esri support walked me through it. All the indexes are synced now.

0 Kudos
ErikLash1
Occasional Contributor

Can you elaborate about the steps that ESRI used? We are having the same issue but when I was on with Tech support they ended up booting us to 'bug' status and closing the ticket.

I'm a little concerned about the stability of our portal and whether or not we should just rebuild. Rebuilding would be a last resort for us as we have production in it dating back to 10.3.1 and would require months to recreate.

Debug logs don't show errors but Users out of sync. Reindex does nothing.

Decided to peak into the black box using PG Admin and run a few quick SQL queries to export a list of users from the store. Compared them with the list of users created by "ListUsers.bat" and found that I have 43 ESRI users in the store that are not in the index. Unsure about whether this is a problem or not.

Would be very happy if there is a way to rebuild the index and move on from this problem. I've told my users not to create any more content until we have resolution, that could be months away.

0 Kudos
DanCamboia
New Contributor

You actually need to rebuild the indices and it requires manipulating files on the disk drive. Definitely need Esri Tech Support assistance. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
vijaybadugu
Occasional Contributor II

Did you resolve the issue ? Please let me know 

0 Kudos
MatejVrtich
Esri Contributor

Was able to re-create indices following this: https://community.esri.com/thread/86574.

1. Stop Portal service

2. Backup C:\arcgisportal\index folder (eg zip it)

3. Replace content of folder C:\arcgisportal\index\nodes\0\indices with content of C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\template\empty_index.zip.

4. Start Portal service

5. Recreate index running https://<hostname>:7443/arcgis/portaladmin/system/indexer/reindex with Mode=Full

Matej

AnuSawant
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I am using Enterprise 10.6 singal machine deployment. I am trying to follow the steps you mentioned above to do reindexing but when I try to login using my Admin login details it is giving me error as your login details are not authorized, not sure why?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anu