Create feature layer in ArcGIS Portal missing

Jump to solution
01-10-2020 05:02 AM
OlovMelin
New Contributor II

Hello!

I have ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 installed. It's an single machine deployment with ArcGIS Server federated and choosen as hosting server. It was an test-enivorment with test-licenses until last week. Updated with buissness licenses and everything checked green. However when I try create new feature layer in portal there are no options for that;

It suppose to look like this;

My user i admin and creator.

Any ideas on whats wrong?

/Olof

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FrédéricPRALLY
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I solve this issue restarting Portal for ArcGIS Windows services.

Hope this help you,

Best regards,

Fred

View solution in original post

20 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

What happens if you try to upload a zipped shapefile or file geodatabase? Do you get the option to create a hosted feature service? If you validate the federated/hosting server in the Portaladmin API, does it indicate that it's a hosting server and is validating the ArcGIS Data Store?

0 Kudos
OlovMelin
New Contributor II

Upload zipped shapefiles works lika a charm. No problem.

Validating hosting server in portaladmin i successful, including arcgis datastore.

0 Kudos
DeanMoiler
Occasional Contributor

Hi Olov,

You may need to update the license in the AGS data store using command line if you've not already? Could be a license conflict, though I would have thought it would still function with the test licenses unless they've expired.

updatelicense

Cheers,

Dean

0 Kudos
OlovMelin
New Contributor II

Hi! Yeah, first thing I did after update licenses was to update datastore with the updatelicense-tool.

I think I remember this happening before in an other enviroment. Guess I worked it out by unfederating server. But that's not a great option now as users have a bunch of items uploaded to the portal.

0 Kudos
AshtonWoodrow1
New Contributor III

Can confirm this literally just happened on my portal as well. Federated 10.7.1 with datastore. Uploaded several hosted layers. Everything was working fine. One of the hosted layers became totally unresponsive and unuasable last night. Decided to create a new duplicate layer to test. Publishing failed. Attempted to create a very simple point layer through the create content utility in portal. Here are my options:

Any help would be appreciated. I also recently updated my license but also did the updatelicense.bat. I also recently installed the patch for 10.7.1 but the problems did not start immediately. The first notice of issues was after I published a hosted feature layer. The service checked out ok after publishing and I ran a few tests with it. While trying to set the extent through the settings page the service became totally unresponsive.

0 Kudos
AshtonWoodrow1
New Contributor III

Ended up getting the item deleted successfully from the portal. We verified server and datastore in the process. Everything was fine. Still no "layer" option in create content menu. The portal services was restarted during the item deletion.

0 Kudos
AshtonWoodrow1
New Contributor III

Update on this, publishing layers from ArcGIS pro is unaffected. I have been able to publish several feature layers and image layers.

0 Kudos
OlovMelin
New Contributor II

Hi Ashton! It might be a problem with SSL (as usual), but i'm not sure. The weird thing is that portal should not be able to validate arcgis server or datastore if there is something wrong with SSL.

AshtonWoodrow1
New Contributor III

Olov,

I think you were right. I hope you get this message before you get too far along. I looked deeper at the http requests and found that there were a few calls to https://machine_name.subdomain.domain.com:6443/arcgis . I'm pretty sure that using the FQDN for service URL's was the documented workflow for federating the server and setting up the web adaptors but it seemed to be the source of the errors in my case.

Reaching the site from web was done by going to the "short name" (https://machine_name.domain.com) and the SSL cert was issued in the same format. We were forcing HTTPS not only through portal but also through the webadaptor. Bindings were only configured for port 443 and there was no SSL cert for the FQDN. 

Now that I'm typing this up I did remember reading somewhere that portal and server need to be able to communicate through port 80 (on the back end). I just realized I probably could have added an HTTP binding to port 80 in IIS, but since we had 6 maps, 10 hosted feature layers, and fresh backups/snapshots of everything I chose to:

1. update the host file entry with the "short name"
  2. un-federate the server
  3. uninstall web adaptor
  4. reinstall web adaptor referencing "short name"
  5. re-federate server using the "short name"

Everything has been working great but before you go breaking federation just realize that there are consequences. Usually you break the link between the maps and the layers (but that can be fixed with AGO Assistant) but in our case it created replicas of the hosted feature layers that either had to be synchronized or downloaded and republished.

If I were you I would test the port 80 binding first (which is what I probably should have done) before you consider breaking federation. If you go the repair through AGO Assistant route just be warned you will get no support for the tool through basic support channels. It's kind of a high level tool and and can break lots of things if you use it wrong. Make sure to make backups and take snapshots!

0 Kudos