Select to view content in your preferred language

Copyright citation

02-23-2024 07:41 AM
davidchamberlain2
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I want to add a copyright blurb to a web app. I have a project in arc pro which I publish to our enterprise portal, this has some utility data that I need to include a source citation for. Possibly a short addition to this existing one, bottom right-

davidchamberlain2_0-1708702828847.png

I have read about inserting dynamic text in layout view but I am working in map view and publishing without any template involved.

Thanks

Dave

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Removing the Esri copyright is a no-no, so I feel like editing (even as an addendum) would almost be in a legal grey area.

Have you considered adding either a splash screen and/or a footer to the web app with the copyright info in? I just recently went with the footer approach for an app I'm developing. But if you need it on the map level, I guess that is out of the question.

0 Kudos
davidchamberlain2
New Contributor III

Hi abureaux,

I have a splash screen with a disclaimer but I have been told that ideally I need the copyright blurb on the map. The copyright citation we already have is one that was put in by us to cover us with the OS. I think we could add to that with no problem. I just dont know how to add to that!

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You can achieve this by editing the Web Map JSON using an unsupported tool (ArcGIS Assistant) to directly update the copyright to include additional sources.

However I would NOT recommend this as editing Web Map JSON = unsupported and risky, it'll be difficult to maintain across maps or basemap changes, and as @abureaux mentioned you can enter some copyright grey areas.

The better way to do this is to have one or more of the following:

• Copyright at the item details page of all layers, maps and web apps
  • Splashscreen in web app
  • Layernames (legends)
  • Text graphics or disclaimers as part of the web app interface
  • Copyright disclaimers on print templates.

The layout view recommendation is for when creating layouts in ArcGIS Pro, i.e. to export maps to pdf. You can insert dynamic credit text to allow repositioning and resizing off the map itself. Though again you are technically required to identify the basemap sources in your pdf. The dynamic text just lets you decide how/where. This doesn't apply to web apps.

If you are creating a custom basemap layer to make your own custom basemap it is possible to specify the copyright in the service itself but I don't believe this is what you are doing and utilities are generally an operational layer, not a basemap layer.

0 Kudos