Converting Maplex Labels to Annotation

08-11-2010 10:32 AM
SeanGambrel
Occasional Contributor II
Hi all,

Using 9.3.1.  I have spent some time getting my labels as close to perfect as possible using the Maplex extension.  Now I want to convert these labels to annotation so I can easily bring them up on different map documents.  As instructed in the help, I simply right-click on my feature class and select "convert labels to annotation".  I run through the dialog - telling it to save as a geodatabase annotation feature class, for all elements, NOT feature-linked, and to NOT convert unplaced annotation.  I specify my SDE geodatabase location and name it. 

The process appears to run correctly, except that the new annotation feature class contains no features.  Also, when I watch closely as the tool progresses, the second line (somethnig about the engine) DOES NOT get checked.  It all goes rather quickly so I can't say exactly what that item is.

I've tried all sorts of permutations with the options, have made sure I have the appropriate permissions to write to the geodatabase, etc., but still the same resault.  Does anybody have any idea what's gonig wrong???

Many thanks in advance!
Sean
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SeanGambrel
Trying this in layout view yeilded a process that seemed to work, however at the end the process 'hung' for a long time and then gave me a "general labeling error".

Any thoughts out there?

Anyone???
0 Kudos
NelsonDe_Miranda
Occasional Contributor III
Hey Sean,

The only way to covert the maplex labels to annotation is by setting them to fixed position. Pretty much voiding most of the work you've done to make them perfect.

I struggled with this problem for a bit as well. This is the only solution I could find.

Cheers,

NelsonDM
0 Kudos
SeanGambrel
I actually got this to work this morning and have been trying to find a moment to post all day....  So sorry if I've wasted your time.

I would like to ask, though:  What do you mean by setting the labels to a fixed position?

What worked for me was removing BOTH the reference scale AND the scale dependency.  I was building this annotation to eventually create a contours map service which would eventually become a LYR file for users here.... perhaps I can set some scale dependencies there, I'll have to find a little time to evaluate it.

Thanks!
Sean
0 Kudos
SusanONeill
New Contributor II
Sean - Can you please explain where you removed the reference scale and the scale dependency?  I am having the same problem.  In 9.3.1, I get an error; I tried it on our test computer that has 10 installed and it never finished running after about 10 hours.  Thanks.

I actually got this to work this morning and have been trying to find a moment to post all day....  So sorry if I've wasted your time.

I would like to ask, though:  What do you mean by setting the labels to a fixed position?

What worked for me was removing BOTH the reference scale AND the scale dependency.  I was building this annotation to eventually create a contours map service which would eventually become a LYR file for users here.... perhaps I can set some scale dependencies there, I'll have to find a little time to evaluate it.

Thanks!
Sean
0 Kudos
SeanGambrel
Hi Susan,

I removed the reference scale in the Data Frame Properties and the scale dependency in Maplex (I think... its been awhile).  I'm still using 9.3.1 by the way.

Good luck!
Sean
0 Kudos
JonMorris
Hi Sean,

It sounds like you are encountering a bug with the software. The workflow you're describing should work so something is going wrong somewhere. The 'general labeling error' suggests a problem inside the label engine that we haven't come across before.

If you submit a support request to your local distributor or to ESRI Support Services an analyst such as myself will be happy to investigate the issue with you.
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=homepage.requestSupport.gateway

Thanks,
0 Kudos