Configuring a bilingual portal

09-25-2018 08:19 AM
JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

I'm looking for suggestions and best practices in setting up a bilingual ESRI Portal.  My organization offers service in both English and French and I'd like a URL for each.

I have a portal 10.6 installed to play with. I've considered just using ?locale=fr in the query string, but that doesn't persist when you click through to another page. 

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you're at 10.6.1, you can look into ArcGIS Enterprise Sites:

About ArcGIS Enterprise Sites—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

You might be able to set up different sites for different languages. I don't think an intention of Sites was support for different languages but it could be an opportunity to properly support it, (if it's not possible already), for an enhancement request through Support or the Ideas site.

0 Kudos
JoshHevenor1
New Contributor III

That's an interesting idea. I'll look into what sites can do. 

I will have French language users who will have content to share, and I don't think sites will handle this. I've been considering installing two Portals, one for each language, and seeing if I can use Collaborations to share the content between them. Again a new feature that I haven't worked with.  Do you see potential or problems with that approach? I guess my editors will be named users and I can configure a locale in their profile, which might be enough.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

That sounds like it could work, but I don't work with distributed collaboration too much. The only issue I can think could come up is locale and character encoding, but I doubt there's any problem with that.

0 Kudos