Cannot create base map layer or group layer

Jump to solution
10-11-2012 05:27 AM
BenjaminSchumann
New Contributor II
Hi,
I have not used ArcMap for 2 months and suddenly it behaves strange: When starting a new map from scratch, I cannot add a basemap and I cannot create new (basemap or group) layers. I see the option and can click it and there is not even an error message, its just: nothing happens.
Even when adding a basemap, I see the selection window and can select, for example, OSM. But nothing happens after that, the program doesn't even crash...

Any ideas?
I am using ArcMap 10.0

thanks in advance, I could not find anything like this using search.
Ben
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks for that information.  Go ahead and install Service Pack 5 and see if that resolves the problem.
0 Kudos
BenjaminSchumann
New Contributor II
Hi,
I installed service pack 5 but still have exactly the same behavior.
Whenever I start a new project and click "Add Data/Add Basemap", select a map and click "OK", nothing happens.

Also, when loading an existing project with a basemap, it works fine...

Any more ideas? and thanks already so far 🙂
0 Kudos
BenjaminSchumann
New Contributor II
Right, I found the problem: I had an internet security filter blocking the basemap data.

thanks again
0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
bs804

Is your problem still resolved?
How did you fix the internet security filter issue?

I have been having this same problem for a few weeks. Older map docs with ESRI basemaps work fine, but I cannot add them to new documents.

Could you explain how you resolved this issue?
0 Kudos
WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same problem, though I expect for a different reason.  I'm working my way through learning ArcGIS and probably have done some things in a not correctl way.  Here's a clip of my ToC for this map.  I want to group symbol layers by trip [GWTrip1-Point, GWTrip1-Line].  When I try any of the methods described in the ArcGIS help file under "Working with group layers", none work.  No messages are returned, no actions appear to be taken.  I would be very grateful to know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Thank you very much ...

9-13-2014 10-16-33 AM.png

0 Kudos