Can you create scaled marker symbols?

02-27-2013 10:08 AM
SarahO_Rourke1
New Contributor III
I am wondering if it is possible to create a marker symbols to be added to a 1:500 map that are scaled properly. I have a map of a shipyard and want to insert markers to find the best fit of all the ships. I would like to create markers for a variety of different lengths and widths and use the marker to place them on the map. Will my ship markers come in at the proper size?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
What about using a reference scale on the data frame?  Go to Data Frame Properties > General > Reference Scale.  Set this at 500, the same scale that you scaled your points at.
0 Kudos
SarahO_Rourke1
New Contributor III
Thanks. The part I'm having problems with is  how to create scalled point symbols. How do I scale my points?
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Hm, all I can think of is using aerial imagery as a reference.  I looked through the display properties for the scale drop down and the size properties for the symbol but I couldn't really figure out a way to create scaled symbols automatically.  Modifying the size while checking it against a known area through imagery would be my suggestion.
0 Kudos